Himalayan Traverse with Peter Hillary
Group | 17 Days | Moderate Touring
- Join famed mountaineer Peter Hillary to retrace his historic crossing of the Himalaya, this time in comfort
- Sensational views of some of the world's highest peaks
- Visit the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute
- An insider's look at cultural gems in Ladakh, Darjeeling, Kathmandu, and Bhutan
- Nights in charming, comfortable hotels
In the early 1980s, Graeme Dingle, Chewang Tashi, and Peter Hillary (son of acclaimed mountaineer Sir Edmund Hillary) made history by traversing the Himalaya from Kangchenjunga in northeast India to K2 in Pakistan. In 10 months, they trekked some 3,000 miles across rugged terrain and dozens of 17,000–20,000-foot passes, sleeping in tents on glaciers and in local shepherd’s huts (you can read about it in their book, First Across the Roof of the World). Almost 40 years later, Peter Hillary is set to retrace this adventure across India, Nepal, and Bhutan, this time opting for cozy hotels, travel by road and airplane, and the company of GeoEx travelers.
This could well be the most amazing journey across the Himalaya short of walking it!– Peter Hillary
After a night in Delhi, we fly to Leh, tucked in the mountainous Ladakh region Ladakhi culture and Tibetan Buddhist architecture reveal themselves at the royal palace, whitewashed monasteries, and multicultural bazaar.
We fly to Kathmandu to explore the UNESCO-lauded valley and its ancient temples, palaces, and Newar craftsmanship A scenic flight whisks us up close to Mount Everest's summit.
Back to India, Darjeeling welcomes us with tea plantations, colonial history, and stunning mountain views from Tiger Hill and the world-famous Darjeeling Himalayan Railway.
We continue to the kingdom of Bhutan via Kolkata The capital, Thimphu, beckons lovers of artisanal craft: we appreciate traditional weaving, silverwork, beading, and papermaking at workshops and the market.
We hike to the legendary, cliff-hanging Tiger's Nest monastery and explore the Paro Dzong Another flight with mountain views returns us to Kathmandu, where we overnight before catching flights home.
Dates & Prices
11/2/19 – 11/18/19 – Guaranteed*
*Guaranteed departures will not be cancelled due to low enrollment; you can sign up and be confident that your plans will not change.
From $16,470 per person (Group Trip)
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of a GeoEx trip leader, local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance