Custom Travel | 12 Days
- Masked cham dances and monastery celebrations at a local tsedup festival
- Morning chanting of Gelug Buddhist monks at Thiksey Monastery
- Nubra Valley’s dramatic high desert landscapes with optional day hikes
- Meetings with local Ladakhi artisans and experts on history and culture
- Elaborate paintings and architecture of important Buddhist monasteries
- Travel Ladakh with local photographer and well-known trip leader Manoj Sharma
On this trip to Ladakh, you’ll journey into the high Himalaya where dramatic landscapes meet colorful traditions in an annual Buddhist festival. Witness the chanting of maroon-robed monks, explore whitewashed monasteries and royal palaces, and ramble on the edge of a national park at Thiksey. Travel to the remote Nubra Valley with its glistening sand dunes and Bactrian camels, then onward towards the Pakistani border, visiting Balti villages along the way. Drive through spectacular scenery and high mountain passes, stopping to admire intricate Buddhist paintings and inspiring statues at Alchi. Walk among apricot orchards and chortens between Hemis Schukpachen and Ang, and wonder at the ancient complexes and religious artifacts at Phyang and Spituk.
Our guide, Manoj, was fabulous. Knowledgeable, thoughtful, great fun to be with ...– Ilene W.
Manoj is the best and I'd love to travel again with him. His sense of humor was infectious. The itinerary was really good and well paced. All the monasteries were different and in some we were the only visitors there.– Marcia O.
1 – 4
After a brief stopover in Delhi, fly over Himalayan peaks to Leh Observe maroon-robed monks at morning prayers and explore the monasteries in Thiksey and Hemis Ramble on the edge of a national park and take tea on the palace ramparts at Stok.
5 – 6
Travel to the remote Nubra Valley’s sand dunes, wild Bactrian camels, and rural villages as you near the Pakistani border Sleep in luxurious safari-style tents and listen to lore of the Silk Road days.
Begin the day with morning prayers in Diskit Gompa End it roaming cobbled streets and meeting local artisans in Leh Market, traveling along the picturesque Shyok River and over the dramatic high pass of Wari La.
8 – 9
Explore ancient ruins at Basgo Fortress and admire intricate Buddhist paintings at Alchi and Mangyu Gompas Walk among apricot orchards and chortens on an optional hike between Hemis Schukpachen and Ang.
10 – 12
Wonder at the ancient monastic complexes and a beautiful collection of religious artifacts at Phyang and Spituk Return to Leh and on to Delhi to depart.
This itinerary will vary depending on which monastery's tsedup (annual festival) falls within your travel dates. Download the full itinerary for details.
Dates & Prices
Custom Trips offered May – September
Please call our Experts at 800-777-8183 for availability and pricing.
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled or filtered water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of a GeoEx trip leader, local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance