Into the Heart of South India
Custom Travel | 14 Days
- Tamil Nadu’s incredible temples at Mamallapuram, Tanjore, and Madurai, where you can witness ancient rituals still in practice
- Cooking demonstration and culinary feast in Chettinad, a less-visited region famed for its South Indian cuisine
- Tea and cardamom plantations, a national park, and lively local markets in Munnar
- Life along the backwaters of Kerala—beautiful canals set among mangrove forests, paddy fields and coconut groves
- Itinerary may be customized around festival dates or other interests to make it your own
India, since ancient times, has been coveted as a prize by many a military force. Although the Muslims, Portuguese, French, and British all landed in Southern India, it managed to remain relatively unaffected by the invasions and power struggles in the North. Journey across the South, instantly enchanted by the extraordinarily diverse landscapes and the ancient traditions and cultural legacies left behind by the various dynasties, Muslim spice traders, and European seafarers.
Begin in Tamil Nadu, exploring its colorful temples and chaotic bazaars. Cross the border into Kerala, one of India’s smallest states. From its verdant green tea plantations in the east to its serene backwaters, rice paddies, and coconut groves in the west, you will be captivated by Kerala’s heartwarming hospitality and natural beauty.
1 – 2
Arriving in Chennai, spend a day among rock-carved elephants and granite gods at Mamallapuram, a coastal collection of temples and shrines and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
3 – 4
Visit Chennai’s oldest temple before flying to Trichy for a quick look at the rock fort and explorations of the massive Srirangam Temple complex Reach Tanjore by car, where you revel in UNESCO-listed Brihadishwara Temple and visit a classical painting school to learn how the frescoes were created.
5 – 7
Staying in a former grand residence, for which the Chettinad region is known, immerse yourself in the flavors of South India with a cooking demonstration and spectacular meal Travel by road to Madurai and spend two days roaming its ornate temples and bustling bazaar, and witnessing an evening temple ceremony.
8 – 9
Climbing from the plains through another UNESCO site, the Western Ghats, pass into Kerala’s lush green tea, coffee, and cardamom plantations at Munnar Take in the crisp air and idyllic vistas from strolls through the countryside, and perhaps spot some wildlife at Eravikulam National Park.
10 – 11
Descend to the coast to a melting pot of Portuguese, Dutch, Spanish, Jewish, and Catholic cultural influences in Kochi Experience a dramatic and colorful Kathakali performance.
12 – 14
The waterways of Kerala glide along past coconut groves, rice paddies, and mangrove forests Explore the area by wooden canoe, dine on a traditional rice barge, and visit local villages by bicycle Return to Kochi for flights home.
Dates & Prices
Custom Trips offered October - March
Custom Trip: From $13,350 per person
Based on two travelers, double occupancy; please call for individually tailored recommendations and pricing
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled or filtered water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
A Journey Built Just For You
Take customization to the next level on a journey fully tailored to you. GeoEx's destination specialists will gladly tailor this existing itinerary—or build one completely from scratch—to suit your style, interests, and time frame. Contact us to see what's possible.Start The Conversation
Where Our Travel Experts are Going in 2023Read More
Where to See Big Cats in the WildRead More
Life-Changing Travel ExperiencesRead More
Where GeoEx Travel Experts Are Dreaming of Going in 2021Read More
Bringing History & Culture Alive: A Conversation with Manoj SharmaRead More
Top Nine GeoEx Instagram Posts of 2019Read More
Colorful India: North to SouthLearn More
Sri Lanka ExplorerLearn More
From Taj to TigerLearn More