Essence of Bhutan
Group or Custom | 12 Days
- Travel with personal inside connections: GeoEx has been exploring Bhutan since 1985
- Experience the country’s highlights with Bhutan’s top guides
- Join locals to celebrate a festival, a colorful expression of Bhutan’s Buddhist culture
- Group size is limited to 12 travelers
- Stay in luxurious yet authentic accommodations
Essence of Bhutan is a compilation of cherished, must-see sights and rich cultural experiences, informed by nearly 40 years of sharing this little-known Himalayan kingdom with our travelers. We ramble through remote villages and hidden valleys, immersing ourselves in breathtaking mountain scenery and traditional Bhutanese architecture. We get to know its thoughtful people and their way of life, and attend a joyous festival, where hundreds gather for mesmerizing masked dancing and drumming. At night we relax at wonderful local hotels, rejoicing in this unique island of sanity and peace.
It was a great itinerary, in a great country, led by a great guide and driver, with other congenial guests. We feel we really saw the country.– WALTER N.
Our journey begins in the Paro Valley, where dzong stand watch and politics and religion intermingle.
2 – 3
Fly east to the Bumthang region and explore its spectacular mountain landscapes, ancient temples and sacred monuments, and tradition of woodcarving and weaving.
4 – 6
Heading west by road, we discover the beautiful Phobjikha Valley, winter nesting site for rare black-necked cranes Visit Bhutan’s largest fortress and hike to Gangteng Gompa, a 17th-century monastery.
7 – 8
The semitropical surroundings of Punakha welcome us We tour its immense dzong and ramble to small temples, including a jewel-like chorten tucked in pine forest above a river.
9 – 10
Revel in a vibrant Buddhist festival Our drive across 10,223-foot Dochu La (known for dazzling Himalayan views) leads to Thimphu, Bhutan’s largest city Take in the market, textile museum, and an archery match before returning to Paro.
11 – 12
Hike to Taktsang Lhakhang, the Tiger’s Nest, a monastery clinging to a vertical granite cliff 2000 feet above the valley floor Flights home depart from Paro.
The timing of the festival may change depending on departure date.
Dates & Prices
11/01/22 – 11/12/22 (with Jakar Festival)*
11/10/22 – 11/21/22 (with Jambay Festival)*
03/28/23 – 04/08/23 (with Paro Festival)
10/22/23 – 11/02/23 (with Jakar Festival)
10/28/23 – 11/08/23 (with Jambay Festival)
*Due to internal flight schedules, dates may shift slightly.
Group Trip: From $8,950 per person
based on double occupancy
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All meals
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of a GeoEx trip leader, local guides, drivers, and other staff
- All gratuities, except for GeoEx trip leader
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
Life-Changing Travel ExperiencesRead More
The Supreme Soak: Best Hotel Bathtubs Around the WorldRead More
Where GeoEx Travel Experts Are Dreaming of Going in 2021Read More
Where to Travel in 2021: Our Top PicksRead More
Adventures in Beauty & Surprise: A Conversation with Bart JordansRead More
The Blessings of BhutanRead More