Nomads of Mongolia
Custom Travel | 11 Days
- Join a nomadic family’s daily activities, staying in a deluxe ger tent
- Storytelling around the campfire under the stars in remote Uliastai
- Explore history, folk music, and a bow and arrow workshop in Ulaanbaatar
- The Gobi Desert’s wildlife: white tailed gazelle, ibex, and argali sheep
- Custom trip, tailored to your interests and schedule
Ride a yak cart. Milk a goat. Seek unusually tall wildflowers. Listen to Mongolian folklore under the stars. These are just some of the adventures you’ll enjoy in the company of a nomadic family.
The journey begins in Mongolia’s capital Ulaanbaatar, the intersection of modern and traditional culture. Then fly to the Khangai Mountain Range to stay in a tented camp hosted by a nomadic family who share their daily lives with you, working with livestock on the edge of the forest. Bask in the glory of Otgontenger Mountain, Mongolia’s holiest peak. Then journey southbound to the Gobi Desert to ride camels and admire the wild takhi horses in their natural habitat at Khustain Nuruu National Park. This itinerary is just a starting point, which can be tailored just for you.
1 – 2
Arrive in Ulaanbaatar for first glimpses of Mongolia, strolling thriving Sükhbaatar Square and delving into history at the National Museum Learn about bow and arrow making and traditional folk music.
3 – 6
Fly to Uliastai and settle into a tented camp hosted by a nomadic family Join in daily activities: making cheese, fetching firewood by yak cart, telling stories around the campfire, and walking among wildflowers in the presence of Otgontenger Mountain.
7 – 9
Journey to the Gobi Desert via Ulaanbaatar for camel rides, sand dunes, and making the national drink Watch the endangered takhi wild horses, visiting ancient burial sites en route.
10 – 11
Return to Ulaanbaatar by plane for shopping, exploring, and a last look at the capital Depart for home.
Dates & Prices
Custom Trips offered June - August
From $8,750 per person (Custom Trip)
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled or filtered water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance