Mongolia's Golden Eagle Festival
Group | 10 Days | Moderate Touring and Active
- Visit with one of the last enduring horse-based nomadic cultures
- Meet Kazakhs who hunt on horseback with trained eagles
- Witness the thrilling Golden Eagle Festival
- Revel in deserts and snowcapped peaks
- Experience Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia's cosmopolitan capital
Living in the shadow of the majestic Altai Mountains, the Kazakhs of western Mongolia survive much as they have for centuries. They move seasonally in search of good animal pasture, maintaining one of the world's last enduring horse-based nomadic cultures, and they hunt with trained golden eagles. On this trip we accompany Kazakh friends on an eagle hunt and join them at their annual Golden Eagle Festival to watch as they celebrate the enduring tradition. We sample the region's stunning natural beauty, from sweeping deserts to forested valleys and spectacular snowcapped peaks.
This is an incredible trip. The time we spent with the eagle hunters was the highlight...Both Michael and Herbert at GeoEx were invaluable in planning the trip. We wouldn't have done it without their expertise and assistance!– Megann Y.
In Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia's capital, we get to know its intriguing blend of old and new, as well as traditional khoomei (“throat singing”).
After flying into the majestic Altai Mountains, we accompany Kazakh friends as they hunt on horseback A nomadic family shares their traditions.
The Golden Eagle Festival draws hunters from all corners of Bayan Olgii province to pit their birds against all comers We behold the exhilarating competition and watch traditional Kazakh games.
A leisurely hike takes us along the lovely Khovd River We soak up western Mongolia's vast landscapes before returning to Ulaanbaatar.
Return to Ulaanbaatar and depart.
Dates & Prices
9/30/19 – 10/9/19 – Guaranteed*
*Guaranteed departures will not be cancelled due to low enrollment; you can sign up and be confident that your plans will not change.
From $6450 per person (Group Trip)
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of a GeoEx trip leader, local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
Places We Love: Top Travel Destinations In The World for 2019Read More