Guatemala Family Journey
Custom Travel | 9 Days
- A remarkable blend of culture and adventure in nearby Central America
- Activities and pace tailored to your family: this itinerary is just a starting point
- Hike volcanoes, bike the highlands, and go zip-lining through jungle
- Explore Mayan ruins, a colonial city, and a bustling handicraft market
- Meet local families and learn about a nonprofit community project
A relative hop, skip, and jump away from the United States, Guatemala is a treasure trove of culture and adventure that’s perfect for families. We recommend starting among the cobblestone streets, art galleries, and markets of 500-year-old Antigua, a UNESCO World Heritage Site where time seems to stand still. Nearby are inviting hiking and mountain biking trails, coffee farms, and rural villages. Then you may linger at the world-famous market in Chichicastenango (“Chichi” in local speak) and discover Tikal’s thrilling ancient Mayan ruins, nestled in a bird-filled rain forest. But on this private trip custom-designed for your family, it’s entirely up to you.
We were able to see how people live in Guatemala, see kids in school, and visit a community with a local guide. We saw so much and stayed in fabulous places. None of this would have been possible without GeoEx.– Christy Becker
1 – 3
Travel via Guatemala City to charming, colonial Antigua Wander cobblestone lanes, lunch with a local family, see community projects, and mountain bike past coffee farms.
Chichicastenango's authentic, open-air market surrounds you with kaleidoscopic scenes of traditional clothing, handicrafts, and fresh vegetables, and offers insight into how Mayan and Catholic customs have merged.
At beautiful Lake Atitlán, revel in outdoor excursions from kayaking and hiking to horseback riding and visiting highland villages, and sleep at a lakeside inn.
6 – 7
After flying to Flores, discover the spellbinding Mayan city of Tikal and the temples at the sacred site of Uaxactun, then retire to a luxury boutique hotel.
8 – 9
Ixpanpajul Nature Park invites you to explore lesser-known ruins and commune with the jungle's parrots and hummingbirds by suspended walkway and zip-line Fly to Guatemala City and depart.
Dates & Prices
Custom Trips offered year-round
(Note that rainy season is May–October)
From $5460 per adult, $4875 per child under 12 years old (Custom Trip)
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
The Road to Guatemala—and to HomeRead More
Where Global Travel Experts Are Going in 2022Read More
Can I Travel to Guatemala Right Now?Read More
International Travel During Covid-19: Reports from Our TravelersRead More
Flying High: Best Helicopter Tours In The WorldRead More
10 Great Places to Travel This DecemberRead More