Custom Travel | 13 Days
- Modernity and tradition in Tokyo and Kyoto
- Luxuriate in Hakone’s mountain onsen (natural hot springs)
- Visit the bustling Tsukiji Outer Market, overflowing with food stalls, colorful produce, and kitchenware
- Travel by train to Kanazawa’s famed Kenrokuen garden and Edo period gassho houses
- Customize your trip with sushi making, calligraphy, origami workshops, and more
In 1880 the great traveler Isabella Bird wrote, “Japan offers as much novelty perhaps as an excursion to another planet.” More than a century later her insight still resonates. We are smitten with Japan, especially by its talent for integrating its proud, ancient culture with its equally fervent embrace of the modern. On this private, customizable trip, you may revel in Tokyo’s cultural highspots, then travel to mountainous Hakone and luxuriate in its famed onsens (hot springs). Explore Kanazawa for a glimpse into the Edo period, and savor Kyoto, the distilled essence of Japanese culture.
You did a fantastic job, patiently guiding me through various alternatives as the trip took shape. You were phenomenal to work with.– MARGARET S.
1 – 3
Discover Tokyo, visiting the Meiji Shrine and Asakusa, seeing exquisite kimono-clad women, and savoring fabulously graceful restaurants.
4 – 5
Ride the train to Hakone, where you may luxuriate in mountain hot springs, admire sculptures, boat across lovely Lake Ashi, and spot Mount Fuji.
6 – 8
Kanazawa’s beautifully preserved thatched-roof houses transport you to ancient times, and its lovely Kenrokuen is considered one of Japan’s top gardens.
9 – 13
Explore Kyoto's centuries-old geisha district, its many temples and shrines, stunning gardens, and bamboo groves before departing for home.
Dates & Prices
Custom Trips offered year–round
From $20,650 per person* (Custom Trip)
*based on two travelers sharing a room
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled or filtered water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
Celebrating the Splendors of GeoEx’s Small-Group JourneysRead More
Earth Day: Three Epiphanies Underneath a Cherry TreeRead More
Journey Through Ancient Japan in PhotosRead More
Where GeoEx Travel Experts are Going in 2020Read More
Top 10 Travel Destinations for 2020Read More
Into the Heart of Japan: Pico Iyer in Conversation with Don GeorgeRead More