Journey Through Ancient Japan
Luxury Group Travel | 12 Days
- Journey with acclaimed travel writer and Japanophile Don George
- Step back in time on enchanting, rarely visited Shikoku Island
- Kyoto’s ancient temples and cherry blossoms
- Soak in secluded Iya Valley onsen (hot springs)
- Make soba noodles and overnight in a 300-year-old farmhouse
Referencing Shikoku Island, acclaimed travel writer Don George wrote, “[It’s] a Japan I hadn’t known existed: a place of farms and fishing villages, mountainside shrines and seaside temples, rugged seacoasts and forested hills.” On this 12-day journey, we unlock the secrets to this remote and rural main island. Our journey begins in stunningly preserved Kyoto, with visits to its temples, gardens and centuries-old geisha district, Gion. We then venture to Shikoku and its hidden Iya Valley, where we hike lush trails, soak in soothing onsen and experience traditional Japanese farmhouse living.
The days in Kyoto were unforgettable: What a feast of temples and Japanese culture!...On Shikoku, we loved every day...The best part was the opportunity (thanks to Don and Hiro's great advance work) to introduce us to people whose devotion to their art was deeply moving.– TOM B.
1 – 3
Explore historically and culturally rich Kyoto with visits to gorgeous temples and a stroll along the cherry tree-lined Path of Philosophers.
Nara is known for its ancient temples and deer park, both of which we discover Return to Kyoto for culinary-inspired wanderings.
5 – 7
Travel to Shikoku Island by bullet train and ferry In vibrant Kochi, explore local markets, enjoy staple dishes like katsuo-no-tataki, and take in the marvelous painted ceiling at Iwamoto-ji Temple.
Winding inland, we reach the isolated, mountainous Iya Valley and spend the night at a 300-year-old thatched farmhouse.
9 – 10
Revel in ancient vine bridges, rushing waterfalls, and two nights at an onsen-focused ryokan Local friends teach us to make soba noodles.
11 – 12
We visit Ryozen-ji, the first of Shikoku's 88 pilgrim temples, spend an afternoon unearthing Takamatsu's many wonders, and cross one of the world's longest suspension bridges Depart from Osaka.
Dates & Prices
03/13/23 – 03/24/23 Limited space; please call
03/27/23 – 04/07/23 Limited space; please call
04/10/23 – 04/21/23 Limited space; please call
Group Trip: From $16,250 per person
based on double occupancy
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Local sake and beer at included meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of a GeoEx trip leader, local guides, drivers, and other staff
- All gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
Where Global Travel Experts Are Going in 2022Read More
Life-Changing Travel ExperiencesRead More
On a Quest in Kyoto for Traditional Woodblock PrintsRead More
The Supreme Soak: Best Hotel Bathtubs Around the WorldRead More
Where to Travel in 2021: Our Top PicksRead More
The Future of Travel: Six Emerging TrendsRead More