Gorillas of Rwanda’s Virunga Volcanoes
Custom Travel | 9 Days
- Encounter endangered mountain gorillas in the wild
- Spot primates and birds in Nyungwe rain forest
- Peruse markets for handicrafts in Kigali
- Explore the country’s superb natural beauty while getting to know its history
- Overnight in carefully selected hotels that support conservation efforts
On this trip, you gently track the world’s largest primate in Rwanda’s Parc National des Volcans—the volcans being the Virunga Volcanoes, a chain of eight major peaks that top out at 14,787 feet. Archetypal jungle volcanoes, they’re dramatically forested, and hiking in them would be a thrill even without the prospect of suddenly coming into the presence of Gorilla beringei beringei, our very sweet, very large relatives. You’ll also explore Nyungwe Forest, looking for chimpanzees and monkeys, and Kigali, catching up Rwanda’s history and current affairs.
The guides were impeccable, and we felt we were in safe hands throughout. It was such a luxury to not have to worry about anything...I really cannot imagine doing a trip like this without the help of GeoEx.– HOLLY & ED E.
1 – 2
Arrive in Kigali and delve into Rwanda’s complex past and present Your guide provides an insider's look at markets and the commercial center.
3 – 5
Primate tracking in Nyungwe Forest reveals a multitude of chimpanzees, as well as colobus monkeys, grey-cheeked mangabeys, and up to 100 orchid species Relish nights at a luxury lodge.
6 – 8
Drive to Volcanoes National Park for gorilla treks Hike through dense vegetation with expert guides, learning about the magnificent animals.
After looking for silverbacks in the morning, return to Kigali and enjoy some final exploring before your flight home.
10 – 12
Optional Extension: Add three days and visit Akagera National Park, located near the Tanzania border and the last remaining refuge for savannah-adapted species in Rwanda. Please see the full itinerary for details.
Dates & Prices
Custom Trips offered year-round
Custom Trip: From $17,250 per person (Low Season)
Based on two travelers, double occupancy; please call for individually tailored recommendations and pricing
Gorilla & Other Primate Permits: $2,700 per person (Low Season)
Optional Akagera Extension (3 days): From $2,985 per person (Low Season)
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, porters and other trek/camp staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
GeoEx’s Ultimate Guide to Gorilla TrekkingRead More
Travel in 2021: GeoEx Staff StoriesRead More
An Exhilarating Journey to Rwanda & Kenya: A Conversation with Kate DotyRead More
Where GeoEx Travel Experts Are Dreaming of Going in 2021Read More
When to Start Planning Your TripRead More
Where GeoEx Travel Experts are Going in 2020Read More