Essence of Bhutan: An All-Women Journey
Group Travel | 12 Days
- Meet local women to better understand the female experience in Bhutan
- Admire iconic Taktsang Lhakhang, hiking to the cliff-clinging Tiger’s Nest Monastery
- Visit the beautiful Phobjikha Valley, watching for the rare black-necked crane
- Witness a colorful and classic Bhutanese tshechu (festival) at picturesque Trongsa Dzong
- Explore the fertile valleys of Bumthang, enjoying a cooking demonstration
- Attend a traditional drum ceremony performed at a Buddhist nunnery
Hitting all the highlights, this women-only version of our flagship Essence of Bhutan trip reveals different perspective on the festivals, dzong, and temples of a little-known Himalayan kingdom. Woman-led, we ramble through remote villages and hidden valleys, immersing ourselves in breathtaking mountain scenery and traditional Bhutanese architecture. We meet with local Bhutanese women and learn about their way of life, and attend a joyous festival, where hundreds gather for mesmerizing masked dancing and drumming. The journey is a compilation of cherished, must-see sights and rich cultural experiences, informed by more than 35 years of sharing Bhutan with our travelers.
Our journey begins in the Paro Valley, where dzong stand watch and politics and religion intermingle.
2 – 3
Fly east to the Bumthang region and explore its spectacular mountain landscapes, ancient temples, and sacred monuments Visit a nunnery for a drum ceremony and watch a demonstration of local cooking.
The watchtower and dzong at Trongsa look out over the idyllic valley, and host the spectacular annual Trongsa Festival, where you meet with village women for a cultural dance and conversation.
5 – 6
Heading west by road, discover the beautiful Phobjikha Valley, winter nesting site for rare black-necked cranes Visit Bhutan’s largest fortress and hike to Gangteng Gompa, a 17th-century monastery.
7 – 8
The semitropical surroundings of Punakha welcome you Tour its immense dzong and stroll to small temples, including a jewel-like chorten tucked in pine forest above a river.
9 – 10
A drive across 10,223-foot Dochu La (known for dazzling Himalayan views) leads to Thimphu, Bhutan’s largest city Meet weavers at the textile museum, dine with influential local women, and enjoy an astrology session at a monastery.
11 – 12
Hike to Taktsang Lhakhang, the Tiger’s Nest, a monastery clinging to a vertical granite cliff 2000 feet above the valley floor Flights home depart from Paro.
Dates & Prices
12/08/20 – 12/19/20
12/08/21 – 12/19/21
From $8,350 per person
Single Supplement: $2,225
- Expertise of GeoEx's travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx's in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled or filtered water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
Adventures in Beauty & Surprise: A Conversation with Bart JordansRead More
The Blessings of BhutanRead More
Where GeoEx Travel Experts are Going in 2020Read More
Places We Love: Top Travel Destinations In The World for 2019Read More
A Butter Lamp Offering for Anthony BourdainRead More
Top 10 Things to Pack For BhutanRead More