Heart of Indochina: Vietnam & Laos
Custom Travel | 13 Days
- Multi-country exploration of the region with optional extension to Cambodia
- Luang Prabang’s classic Lao style, karst-dotted Halong Bay, and markets of Hoi An—all UNESCO sites
- Private cooking class, street food tour, and special meals at private homes to savor Southeast Asian cuisine
- Saigon by Vespa, cyclo (bicycle rickshaw) ride in Hue, and overnight cruise on Halong Bay
- Sample itinerary—contact us to tailor it just for your custom trip
The vibrant region of Vietnam and Laos is a feast of emerald mountains, lively waterways, and enduring legacies. Along with Cambodia, these countries were once collectively known as Indochina due to their early Hindu and Chinese cultural and artistic influences. Delve into them on this comprehensive journey, getting to the heart of the area through unusual insider experiences that provide unique access to the region’s cultures and peoples, all based from luxurious, ideally situated accommodations.
Roam hidden neighborhoods in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), savor Vietnamese cuisine in Hoi An and architecture in Hue and Hanoi, and board an overnight cruise on Halong Bay for your final night in Vietnam. In Laos, absorb the culture through giving alms to local monks and learning how to plant rice on a rural farm as you explore architectural wonders.
If you have time for all three countries, we encourage you to cap off the journey with a grand trip extension to the incredible ruins of Angkor in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
1 – 2
Arriving in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam, wander through hidden neighborhoods as they awake and zip through bustling nighttime streets by Vespa.
3 – 4
Fly to Danang and continue by road to Hoi An Explore markets, street food, and Vietnamese cooking techniques in this graceful old port town with humpbacked bridges and lacquerware shops Visit My Son for a lesson in Cham history.
5 – 6
Drive to the Nguyen Dynasty capital of Hue, where you dine in a lovely old private residence, ponder royal architecture and gardens, and travel along the Perfume River by cyclo.
7 – 9
A short flight takes you to Hanoi to stroll among beautiful French colonial architecture Savor a blissful day and night cruising among the majestic limestone karsts of Halong Bay, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
10 – 13
Wing your way to Luang Prabang, Laos Join residents and monks in the tranquil, temple-dotted streets for almsgiving, then dye scarves with artisans, and follow the Mekong to caves filled with gilded Buddhas Depart for home or continue for an optional add-on to see iconic ruins at UNESCO-listed Angkor in Cambodia.
Dates & Prices
Custom Trips offered year-round
From $9,275 per person (Custom Trip)
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled or filtered water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
Vietnam by VespaRead More
10 Great Places to Travel This DecemberRead More
Adventures in Vietnam’s Cave CountryRead More
An Unforgettable Journey in Chau Doc, VietnamRead More
Extra Hours and Unexpected Encounters in Vientiane, LaosRead More
Dominoes and Decisions in a Saigon Beer GardenRead More