Group and Custom | 13 Days | Moderate Touring and Active
- Expert GeoEx trip leader is a Mongolia native
- Watch wrestling and horseracing at an authentic, untouristed Naadam Festival
- Visit with a nomadic family and overnight in a traditional ger
- Ride camelback across the Gobi Desert's spectacular "singing sand dunes"
- Discover the capital, Ulaanbaatar
GeoEx has been under Mongolia’s spell for a long time, dating to the days when it appeared in musty atlases as “Outer Mongolia,” so it is with great joy that we reveal this magnificent land. This active journey offers an unassumingly cushy experience of the country, with stays in some of its best hotels and ger camps. We linger in the ethereal Gobi Desert, scouring for dinosaur bones, riding Bactrian camels, and communing with nomads. We bask in the beauty of Lake Khovsgol and catch a very authentic Naadam, an epic festival bursting with athletic skill.
It's great that your staff knows the region and can respond to questions that go outside the usual guidebook knowledge.– Connie D.
Ishee was an excellent guide. His stories about his firsthand experience growing up in the Mongolian countryside, under Communist rule, made the country come alive for us. He was endlessly patient and did everything in his power to keep his guests happy.– Gary S.
Get acquainted with Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia's surprisingly cosmopolitan capital, visiting its resurgent Buddhist temples and proud museums.
A flight whisks us into the heart of the Gobi Desert, home to dinosaur remains and the striking Flaming Cliffs Discover the area from a lovely ger camp.
Visit a nomadic family, learning about daily life Take in the towering Khongoriin Els (“singing sand dunes”) by two-humped camel A massive bearded vulture may soar by us in spectacular Yol Valley.
Flying to magnificent Lake Khovsgol, set amid lush meadows and forested mountains, we explore the serene wilderness by horseback and jeep, perhaps meeting nomadic reindeer herders.
Naadam is the largest, most boisterous Mongolian festival, featuring horseracing, archery and wrestling matches, and lyric horse-praising competitions―we experience a very authentic celebration.
Revel in the softly rolling hills and huge open skies of Gorkhi Terelj National Park with options to hike, horseback ride, and study Bronze Age artifacts Return to Ulaanbaatar and depart.
Dates & Prices
7/9/18 – 7/21/18
From $8450 per person (Group Trip)
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of a GeoEx trip leader, local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
Adventure on the Trans-Siberian RailwayRead More