Luxury Group Travel | 13 Days
- Experience the combination of Saudi Arabian ancient sites, modern cities, mud-brick forts, forests, and red-sand dunes
- Visit UNESCO-listed Hegra, known as the Petra of Saudi Arabia
- Opportunities to dialog with Saudi women, a local family, and up-and-coming artisans
- Access to museum collections, art galleries, and art collectives
- Explore stunning UNESCO World Heritage Sites across Saudi Arabia
In the last 40 years Saudi Arabia has shifted from a tribal nomadic desert nation to an ultra-modern land of gleaming towns and cities, all the while guarding its conservative way of life founded on strict Islamic principles. This GeoEx tour of Saudi Arabia focuses on this beguiling country at a crossroads and offers a fascinating look at change in this ancient land. From the busy streets and bustling markets of Riyadh and Jeddah to the agricultural riches of rose farms and apricot orchards and ancient past of rock art and Nabataean tombs at Hegra, explore monumental shifts over time.
It was wonderful. I mean, a different planet. Just wow.Laurie H.
1 – 3
Arrive in Riyadh, capital city and modern metropolis Visit UNESCO-acclaimed Diriyah, family seat of the Al Saud family and former capital of the Emirate Explore the city, from ancient forts to modern streets.
Journey to Buraidah, stopping en route to visit the mud-brick villages of Shagra and Ushaige.
Spend the morning visiting one of the kingdom’s largest camel markets Travel to the Jubbah cliffs, site of UNESCO-listed rock art Continue to Hail, a major stop on the trade routes that crisscrossed the Arabian Peninsula.
6 – 8
Journey north to Hegra and explore the Nabatean tombs at this renowned UNESCO World Heritage Site See Ekma Rock with its Thamudic script and rock carvings and visit the town of Al Ula.
Drive to Medina and revel in the unique opportunity to witness pilgrims entering the mosque for evening prayer.
10 – 13
Return to Jeddah and explore, visiting the old port of Al Balad, modern sculpture, and the thriving fish market Depart Jeddah
13 – 15
Optional Abu Dhabi Extension:
Fly to Abu Dhabi, where you get to know the capital of the United Arab Emirates, home to stunning modern architecture, the sensational Sheikh Zayed Mosque, and the masterpiece-filled Louvre Abu Dhabi.
Dates & Prices
12/02/23 – 12/14/23 Led by Bill Jones
12/01/24 – 12/15/24 Led by Bill Jones
Optional Abu Dhabi Extension (3 days): From $2,775
based on double occupancy
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- Accommodations and meals as noted in the itinerary
- All ground transportation, including airport transfers
- All sightseeing, events, and visits as noted in the itinerary
- All porterage, entrance fees, service charges, and standard taxes
- Services of GeoEx trip leader, local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Bottled water and soft drinks at included meals and while sightseeing
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
GeoEx’s 8 Top Travel Destinations in 2024Read More
Where to Go in 2022: Our Expert PicksRead More
Where GeoEx Travel Experts Are Dreaming of Going in 2021Read More
Where GeoEx Travel Experts are Going in 2020Read More
Top 10 Travel Destinations for 2020Read More
What is Saudi Arabia Like? Our Tour Group Finds Out FirsthandRead More