Mongolia's Golden Eagle Festival
Group and Custom | 11 Days | Moderate Touring and Active
- Visit with one of the last enduring horse-based nomadic cultures
- Join Kazakh hunters on horseback as they hunt with trained eagles
- Witness the thrilling Golden Eagle Festival
- Revel in deserts and snowcapped peaks
- Experience Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia's cosmopolitan capital
Living in the shadow of the majestic Altai Mountains, the Kazakhs of western Mongolia survive much as they have for centuries. They move seasonally in search of good animal pasture, maintaining one of the world's last enduring horse-based nomadic cultures, and they hunt with trained golden eagles. On this trip we accompany Kazakh friends on an eagle hunt and join them at their annual Golden Eagle Festival to watch as they celebrate the enduring tradition. We sample the region's stunning natural beauty, from sweeping deserts to forested valleys and spectacular snowcapped peaks.
This is an incredible trip. The time we spent with the eagle hunters was the highlight...Both Michael and Herbert at GeoEx were invaluable in planning the trip. We wouldn't have done it without their expertise and assistance!– Megann Y.
In Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia's capital, we get to know its intriguing blend of old and new, as well as traditional khoomei (“throat singing”).
After flying into the majestic Altai Mountains, we accompany Kazakh friends hunting on horseback A nomadic family shares their traditions.
The Golden Eagle Festival draws hunters from all corners of Bayan Olgii province to pit their birds against all comers We behold the exhilarating competition and watch traditional Kazakh games.
A leisurely hike takes us along the lovely Khovd River We soak up western Mongolia's vast landscapes before returning to Ulaanbaatar.
In Gorkhi Terelj National Park, we bask in stunning mountain scenery, riding horses through fields of wildflowers and tree-dotted hills Return to Ulaanbaatar and depart.
Dates & Prices
9/25/17 – 10/5/17
10/1/18 – 10/11/18
From $5950 per person (Group Trip)
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of a GeoEx trip leader, local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
Adventure on the Trans-Siberian RailwayRead More