Congo & CAR: Wild Heart of Africa
Group Travel | 13 Days
- Remote rain forests and wild savannahs of the rarely-traveled Republic of Congo and Central Africa Republic
- Western lowland gorilla tracking as part of a pioneering eco-tourism project
- Conversations with conservation experts and researchers on pangolin, western lowland gorilla, and forest elephant
- Jungle walks for wildlife, illuminating village visits, river kayaking and cruising, and unique wet walks in the bai
- Travel with renowned African explorers and guides Brad Hansen and Kingsley Holgate
Odzala-Kokoua is one of Africa’s oldest national parks, an isolated nook of glorious rain forest in the Republic of Congo with the continent’s largest density of western lowland gorillas, not to mention many hundreds of avian and mammal species. Herds of forest elephant roam the reserve of Dzanga-Sangha, a lesser-known swath of rain forest and savannah in the Central African Republic.
Explore both countries on this thrilling, pioneering journey that takes you from sprawling savannah and dense primary forest to languid rivers and swampy grasslands. You’ll walk, canoe, and four-by-four with expert guides, spotting dainty sitatunga and whirring African grey parrots. You’ll watch from delicately constructed hides for lowland bongo, forest elephant, and pangolin. And you’ll plunge into the jungle to commune with our closest relatives in the wild, the critically endangered western lowland gorilla. As evening falls, you’ll dine on flavorful, thoughtfully prepared cuisine while being serenaded by the sounds of the wild.
1 – 4
After a brief stopover in Brazzaville, take a charter flight into the wilds of Congo’s Odzala-Kokoua National Park Track habituated lowland gorillas through the forest on foot, and look for forest dukier, other primates, and bird life Spend time with the knowledgeable gorilla research team stationed here.
5 – 6
Drive through forest and savannah to explore Mbomo village, where you’ll meet the African Parks team for lunch and a chat about their fascinating work Kayak along the Lekoli River, arriving at Lango Bai with time for a bai walk and sundowners Join your guide for exhilarating wet and dry walks in the saline marsh ecosystem, where you may encounter forest buffalo, putty-nosed monkeys, and some of the 430 species of birds found in the area.
Enjoy breathtaking views of the tropical rain forest and grassland savannah at Mboko Cruise the river at sunset, watching for primates, birds, and forest elephants on the banks.
8 – 9
Fly to Kabo Airstrip and cruise by riverboat up the Sangha River, crossing into the Central African Republic Watch the action at Dzanga Bai, a place where hundreds of elephants are known to congregate, and hear about the research team’s work from the observation platform.
10 – 11
With your guide, join a group of Ba’Aka people for traditional net hunting in the forest Meet pangolin researchers and learn about local conservation projects Walk through lush rain forest by night and day, visit the tall trees in the Valley of the Giants, and take an optional hike between waterfalls.
12 – 13
Return to Mboko by riverboat and plane for your last day in the wild, complete with sundowners on the river Fly to Brazzaville and depart.
Dates & Prices
05/12/21 – 05/24/21
07/14/21 – 07/26/21
2021 Group Trips: From $23,635 per person
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled or filtered water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance