Gorillas of Rwanda's Virunga Volcanoes
Custom | 8 Days | Moderate to Rigorous Hiking and Safari
- Encounter endangered mountain gorillas in the wild
- Spot primates and birds in Nyungwe rain forest
- Peruse markets for handicrafts in Kigali
- Carefully selected hotels that support conservation efforts
On this trip, you gently track the world’s largest primate in Rwanda’s Parc National des Volcans—the volcans being the Virunga Volcanoes, a chain of eight major peaks that top out at 14,787 feet. Archetypal jungle volcanoes, they’re dramatically forested, and hiking in them would be a thrill even without the prospect of suddenly coming into the presence of Gorilla beringei beringei, our very sweet, very large relatives. You'll also explore Nyungwe Forest, looking for chimpanzees and monkeys, and Kigali, catching up Rwanda’s history and current affairs.
The guides were impeccable, and we felt we were in safe hands throughout. It was such a luxury to not have to worry about anything...I really cannot imagine doing a trip like this without the help of GeoEx.– Holly & Ed E.
Arrive in Kigali and delve into Rwanda’s complex past and present Your guide provides an insider's look at markets and the commercial center.
Primate tracking in Nyungwe Forest reveals a multitude of chimpanzees, as well as colobus monkeys, grey-cheeked mangabeys, and up to 100 orchid species Relish nights at a luxury lodge.
Fly to Kigali and drive to Volcanoes National Park for gorilla treks Hike through dense vegetation with expert guides, learning about the magnificent animals.
After looking for silverbacks in the morning, return to Kigali and enjoy some final exploring before your flight home.
Dates & Prices
Custom Trips offered year-round
From $9000 per person (Custom Trip)
Gorilla trekking and walk permits: $3210 per person
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, porters and other trek/camp staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance