Peter Hillary’s New Zealand
Group Travel | 15 Days
- Travel with celebrated mountaineer and New Zealander Peter Hillary
- Mount Cook, where Sir Edmund Hillary prepared for the first Everest ascent
- Peaks and sounds of Fiordlands National Park by helicopter and boat
- Conservation and wildlife in Akaroa and Kaikoura with whale watching
- Curator-led tour of Te Papa Museum, Auckland Art Gallery with Sarah Hillary
- UNESCO-listed Tongariro National Park, where Edmund Hillary made his first climb
Experience the wilds of the North and South Islands of New Zealand guided by the local perspective of renowned explorer Peter Hillary, whose father Sir Edmund Hillary completed the first summit of Mount Everest in 1953 with Tenzing Norgay. Adventure through the emerald landscapes of national parks and over sparkling waters on picturesque bays, revisiting peaks and valleys Peter frequented in his youth. Throughout this exceptional New Zealand itinerary, get direct insight into remarkable Hillary family history—how they got started climbing in the mountains of New Zealand and kept exploring right up to the heights of the Himalaya, and beyond.
Peter Hillary was stellar. His love and enthusiasm for the region and its people shines through.– Pete V., traveled with Peter Hillary in the Himalaya
1 – 3
Arrive in Queenstown Helicopter through Fiordland National Park, landing at Milford Sound for a cruise between soaring cliffs and waterfalls, and at Doubtful Sound for a scenic picnic 4WD excursion to Matukituki Valley.
Drive to Mount Cook and explore the area where Sir Edmund Hillary trained to climb Everest Mount Cook ski plane flight, landing on the upper Tasman Glacier.
5 – 7
Explore the Banks Peninsula, seeing native forests at Hinewai Reserve and cruising Akaroa Bay in search of dolphins and penguins Travel up the coast for a chance to see sperm whales at Kaikoura.
At the far north of the South Island, stop to sample the regional wines and dine at a vineyard in Blenheim.
9 – 10
Fly to Wellington on the North Island Enjoy an exclusive curator-led tour of Te Papa Museum’s Maori collections Walking tour of the capital and rare birdlife on a nighttime visit to Zealandia Reserve.
11 – 12
UNESCO-listed Tongariro National Park is centered on three volcanic mountains, one of which inspired a young Edmund Hillary to make his first climb Explore with short walks and a gondola ride up the mountain.
13 – 15
Fly to Auckland, meeting Peter’s sister, Sarah Hillary, a conservation expert at Auckland Art Gallery Sail on an America's Cup racing yacht and roam local landscapes Depart.
Dates & Prices
02/24/22 – 03/10/22 Limited availability, please call
11/28/22 – 12/12/22 Limited availability, please call
01/29/23 – 02/12/23
Group Trip: From $16,875 per person
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled or filtered water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, and other staff
- All gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance