Custom | 12 Days | Easy Touring
- Modernity and tradition in Tokyo and Kyoto
- Luxuriate in Hakone’s mountain onsen (natural hot springs)
- Visit Tsukiji Market―the biggest wholesale seafood market on the planet
- Travel by train into the Japan Alps
- Customize your trip with sushi making, calligraphy, origami workshops, and more
In 1880 the great traveler Isabella Bird wrote, “Japan offers as much novelty perhaps as an excursion to another planet.” More than a century later her insight still resonates. We are smitten with Japan, especially by its talent for integrating its proud, ancient culture with its equally fervent embrace of the modern. On this private, customizable trip, you may revel in Tokyo's cultural highspots, then travel to mountainous Hakone and luxuriate in its famed onsens (hot springs). You may explore old post towns on the Nakasendo Road and drink in Kyoto, the distilled essence of Japanese culture.
You did a fantastic job, patiently guiding me through various alternatives as the trip took shape. You were phenomenal to work with.– Margaret S.
Discover Tokyo, visiting the Meiji Shrine and Asakusa, seeing exquisite kimono-clad women, and savoring fabulously graceful restaurants.
Ride the train to Hakone, where you may luxuriate in mountain hot springs, admire sculptures, boat across lovely Lake Ashi, and spot Mount Fuji.
Takayama, tucked beautifully in the Japan Alps, invites you to wander its old streets, drop into its woodworking shops and inns, and soak up the ﬂavor of the old Nakasendo Road.
Explore Kyoto's centuries-old geisha district, its many temples and shrines, stunning gardens, and bamboo groves before departing for home.
Dates & Prices
Custom Trips offered year–round
From $17,400 per person* (Custom Trip)
*based on two travelers sharing a room
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
Oita Odyssey: Discovering Bamboo Art in Beppu, JapanRead More
Shooting Shikoku: A Full-Circle Celebration of JapanRead More
The Sacred Bowing Deer of Nara, JapanRead More
Must-See UNESCO World Heritage Sites You May Never Have Heard OfRead More
UNESCO’s World Heritage: What It Means & Why It MattersRead More
Kyoto in Bloom: Exploring Spring in JapanRead More