Journey Through Ancient Japan
Group and Custom | 12 Days | Easy Touring
- Journey with acclaimed travel writer and Japanophile Don George
- Step back in time on enchanting, rarely visited Shikoku Island
- Kyoto's ancient temples and cherry blossoms
- Soak in secluded Iya Valley onsens (hot springs)
- Make soba noodles and overnight in a 300-year-old farmhouse
Referencing Shikoku Island, acclaimed travel writer Don George wrote, “[It’s] a Japan I hadn’t known existed: a place of farms and fishing villages, mountainside shrines and seaside temples, rugged seacoasts and forested hills.” On this 12-day journey, we unlock the secrets to this remote and rural main island. Our journey begins in stunningly preserved Kyoto, with visits to its temples, gardens and centuries-old geisha district, Gion. We then venture to Shikoku and its hidden Iya Valley, where we hike lush trails, soak in soothing onsens and experience traditional Japanese farmhouse living.
The days in Kyoto were unforgettable: What a feast of temples and Japanese culture!...On Shikoku, we loved every day...The best part was the opportunity (thanks to Don and Hiro's great advance work) to introduce us to people whose devotion to their art was deeply moving.– Tom B.
Explore historically and culturally rich Kyoto with visits to gorgeous temples and a stroll along the cherry tree-lined Path of Philosophers.
Nara is known for its ancient temples and deer park, both of which we discover Return to Kyoto for culinary-inspired wanderings.
Travel to Shikoku Island by bullet train and ferry Learn about candle making en route to Cape Ashizuri’s towering cliffs and azure waters.
A coastal road takes us to vibrant Kochi with stops to appreciate spectacular scenery, local dishes like katsuo-no-tataki, and the marvelous painted ceiling at Iwamoto-ji Temple.
Reaching the isolated, mountainous Iya Valley, we revel in ancient vine bridges, rushing waterfalls, and a night at a 300-year-old thatched farmhouse Local friends teach us to make soba noodles.
We visit Ryozen-ji, the first of Shikoku's 88 pilgrim temples, spend an afternoon unearthing Takamatsu's many wonders, and cross one of the world's longest suspension bridges Depart from Osaka.
Dates & Prices
3/30/20 – 4/10/20 – 2 spaces left
4/13/20 – 4/24/20 – Sold out; Wait list only
2019 Group Trips: From $12,670 per person
Please check back for 2020 prices.
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Local sake and beer at included meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of a GeoEx trip leader, local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
Oita Odyssey: Discovering Bamboo Art in Beppu, JapanRead More
Shooting Shikoku: A Full-Circle Celebration of JapanRead More
The Sacred Bowing Deer of Nara, JapanRead More
Must-See UNESCO World Heritage Sites You May Never Have Heard OfRead More
UNESCO’s World Heritage: What It Means & Why It MattersRead More
Kyoto in Bloom: Exploring Spring in JapanRead More