Custom Travel | 11 Days
- Hike through remote, gorgeous mountain scenery to the famous Fitz Roy peaks
- Cross from Chile to Argentina by foot and boat
- Nights at charming, isolated wilderness lodges
- Support conservation in Patagonia National Park Chile
- A journey tailored to you: this itinerary is just a starting point
After decades of traveling to the southern tip of the Americas, we thought it impossible to get any farther off the grid. Until we did. This adventure takes you into the impressively remote Aysén region to explore a recently opened national park, where you learn about efforts to protect vulnerable ecosystems, recover endangered species, and support local communities. You then hike across the Chile-Argentina border where there are no roads, luxuriate in a wonderfully isolated lodge set on a pristine alpine lake, and spend time in the presence of the Fitz Roy peaks.
1 – 2
After a night in Santiago, fly to the sparsely populated Aysén region and make the scenic drive to Chacabuco Valley and its elegant eco-lodge.
3 – 4
Hikes in Patagonia National Park Chile take you past guanacos to stunning mountain vistas Friends at Conservación Patagónica discuss their efforts to protect ecosystems and support local communities.
The lonely Carretera Austral leads you along alpine valleys, rivers, and a few farmsteads to the frontier town of Villa O'Higgins, where the road ends.
6 – 7
Boat across turquoise Lago O’Higgins and follow wooded trails into Argentina Enchanting Lago del Desierto is your base for accessing little-traveled trails among beautiful peaks and glaciers.
Descend into the town of El Chaltén by boat, vehicle, and foot, and if energy permits, hike to Laguna de los Tres for more wonderful summit views.
9 – 11
Ambling among the spiky Fitz Roy peaks, you ascend through native lenga forest into high alpine terrain Fly from El Calafate to Buenos Aires and depart.
11 – 15
The optional Torres del Paine extension travels via Perito Moreno Glacier to Chile for hiking and wildlife watching among colossal massifs, glaciers, and gnarled Magellanic trees Fly home via Santiago.
Dates & Prices
Custom Trips offered November–March
From $9950 per person. Please call for individually tailored recommendations and pricing.
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance