Group | 12 Days | Moderate Touring and Hiking
- Close-up views by helicopter of eastern Himalayan giants—including Mount Everest
- Exclusive stay at Happy House, a bastion of mountaineering history and favorite of Sir Edmund Hillary
- Day hikes to remote monasteries and Sherpa villages
- Optional four-day trek to Pikey Peak, a little-known spot with incredible panoramas
- Opportunities for guided yoga, monk-led meditation, and singing bowl therapy sessions
The little-traveled Solu Khumbu region brings us back to the Nepal we fell in love with decades ago, a realm of jaw-dropping Himalayan scenery, mountaineering lore, Sherpa traditions, and very few other travelers. We base our stay from the newly renovated Happy House, ancestral home of our friend Ang Tshering Lama and a favorite spot of Everest explorers like Sir Edmund Hillary. From there we make day hikes, dipping into the world of Tibetan Buddhism at off-the-beaten-path monasteries and experiencing the warmth of vibrant Sherpa culture. We soak up breathtaking views of some of the earth's tallest peaks during the optional mini-trek to Pikey Peak and on the helicopter fly-by of Everest before returning to Kathmandu for its remarkable highlights.
We set out into the UNESCO-listed Kathmandu Valley, taking in the ancient monuments and finely crafted temples of medieval Bhaktapur, a 9th-century Newar city.
A helicopter whisks us to the remote mountain town of Phaplu and The Happy House, where objects from famous Everest expeditions can be found Embark on a day hike to the rock-perched Chiwong Monastery.
Those interested can opt for a relaxed four-day trek to 13,337-foot Pikey Peak, the only spot where all of Nepal's eight "eight-thousanders" can be seen Non-trekkers enjoy day hikes from Happy House to visit villages and markets and savor the sunset from atop 10,800-foot Ratnange Ridge.
Visit Thupten Choeling Monastery, a stronghold of Tibetan Buddhism, and Junbesi village, the cradle of Sherpa culture A morning flight to Mount Everest takes us close to its summit and base camp before we return to Kathmandu.
Explore the buzzing capital, strolling the maze-like alleys of its Old City and marveling at exquisite Buddhist art in its museum Depart for home.
Dates & Prices
10/15/19 – 10/26/19
5/1/20 – 5/12/20
10/15/20 – 10/26/20
Fall 2019 & Spring 2020 Group Trips:
From $11,375 per person
Please check back for Fall 2020 pricing.
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All gratuities
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
Flying High: Best Helicopter Tours In The WorldRead More
Tomorrow – Experiencing Hindu Death RitualsRead More
Must-See UNESCO World Heritage Sites You May Never Have Heard OfRead More
A Butter Lamp Offering for Anthony BourdainRead More
The Man Who Told FuturesRead More
A Happy Side Effect of TravelRead More