Shadowing Mongolia’s Snow Leopards
Group Travel | 11 Days
- Seek the elusive snow leopard in Western Mongolia
- Day hikes in the stunningly rugged Altai Mountains
- Spot rare and endemic mammals and migrating birds
- Spontaneous encounters with the pastoral nomads of Mongolia
- Travel with consummate storyteller and Mongolia expert, Ishee Battulga
This 11-day adventure first takes you to Ulaanbaatar, providing historical and spiritual context, before you travel by four-by-four into the high-mountain tundra of the deep Altai Mountains. Based from a private ger camp, keep watch for mighty raptors, saiga antelope, and takhi horses. Throughout the journey, you meet Mongolians of diverse ethnic tribes living both modern-day lifestyles and those living nomadic existences. The latter will likely spoil you with their love for throat singing as well as tips on the most recent snow leopard sightings so that you might chance upon the elusive beasts as well on hikes up Jargalant Mountain.
It's great that your staff knows the region and can respond to questions that go outside the usual guidebook knowledge.– Connie D.
1 – 2
Arrive in Ulaanbaatar, a mix of old and new: office workers spend the day in Stalinist-modern buildings and go home to yurt-like tents called gers Monuments and museums display the country’s fascinating spiritual history.
3 – 6
Fly to Jargalant Mountain in Western Mongolia, and move into your ger camp Take daily hikes through stunning rugged landscapes to seek the elusive snow leopard, meet Zakhchin nomadic families, and watch for raptors, ibex, and argali sheep.
Visit Khar Urs Lake, an important stop for migrating birds Khovd is Mongolia’s oldest city and has been an active trade center since the Qing Dynasty Visit this hub’s natural history museum.
Admire the rock art in cave dwellings unlike any other in Mongolia in Khoit Tsenkher Cave and hear an amazing local throat-singing performance.
9 – 11
Wing your way back to the capital to admire the stately sculptures and thangka of the Winter Palace Spend the day exploring Khustain Nuruu National Park before departing home.
Dates & Prices
09/10/20 – 09/20/20
From $8370 per person (Group Trip)
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled or filtered water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of a GeoEx trip leader, local guides, drivers, and other staff
- All gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
Places We Love: Top Travel Destinations In The World for 2019Read More