From Taj to Tiger
Group and Custom | 12 Days | Moderate Touring
- The best of northern India, with insider experiences and luxurious hotels
- See the Taj Mahal when crowds are low and light is exquisite
- Celebrate an authentic Holi or Diwali Festival in an off-the-beaten-path village
- Watch for Royal Bengal tigers on safari in Ranthambore National Park
- Optional extension to Varanasi, Hinduism's most important pilgrimage site
A great introduction to India, this journey interlaces some of the country’s most compelling sights with one of its ﬁnest wildlife parks. We take unusually thoughtful looks at the “Golden Triangle”, then venture deep into Rajasthan, Land of the Maharajas, to celebrate a festival in a very local way, to wander among palaces and temples, and to safari in Ranthambore National Park—home to a quickly multiplying number of tigers. Along the way, our group of travelers (no more than 16) explores with talented guides and stays in absolutely top-notch hotels. If you prefer to travel privately, we're happy to make this your own Custom Trip.
When you stay primarily in palaces, one with a room with a view of the Taj, it is hard to find something lacking!– Stuart H.
The pace, variety, type and intensity of activity, mix of active/relaxation time, nature of the properties and regions...fantastic!– John B.
Discover Old Delhi’s monuments and hidden corners, including the Red Fort A bicycle rickshaw whisks us through the crooked alleys of Chandni Chowk, one of India’s oldest and busiest bazaars.
Flying to Udaipur, Rajasthan’s most romantic city, we revel in majestic palaces, cruise on Lake Pichola, wander past colorful homes, and learn about traditional arts, crafts, and marble work.
Diwali (Festival of Lights) and Holi (Festival of Color) are exuberant annual celebrations: we experience one alongside locals in a little-visited village Ranakpur’s expressive Jain temples and intricate carvings come to life.
Jaipur, “the Pink City,” is a feast of rose-hued buildings, which we explore on foot We stop into Amer Fort, famous for its red sandstone, white marble, and mosaics.
On safari in Ranthambore National Park, we watch for tigers, monkeys, and sloth bears, and savor the tented luxury of the award-winning Oberoi Vanyavilas.
Visit the Taj Mahal at sunset and sunrise, and appreciate it from your private hotel balcony We tour Agra Fort, a 16th-century citadel UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Optional Extension to Varanasi: Fly to the pilgrimage destination of Varanasi, stroll its enchanting alleyways, and witness the colorful activity along the sacred Ganges during an early-morning boat ride.
Dates & Prices
11/2/18 – 11/13/18 (with Diwali Festival; Sold out)
3/16/19 – 3/27/19 (with Holi Festival)
10/23/19 – 11/3/19 (with Diwali Festival)
3/5/20 – 3/16/20 (with Holi Festival)
Custom Trips offered October–April
2018/2019 Group Trips: From $9970 per person
Optional Varanasi Extension: From $990 per person
2020 Group Trips: From $10,875 per person
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of a GeoEx trip leader (Group Trip), local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance