Group | 15 Days | Easy Train Journey
- Cross northern India, from the Arabian Sea to the Bay of Bengal by road and rail
- Seven nights aboard the elegant Deccan Odyssey train
- Key sights, including the holy Ganges, the Taj Mahal, and Udaipur palaces
- Himalayan views and tea country vistas from colonial Darjeeling
- Dinner and dance performance at former residence of the Maharajah of Jaipur
Tracing a wide arc across northern India, this coast-to-coast, rail-and-road journey explores daily life, major city sights, and Himalayan foothill towns. For the first half of the adventure, you travel aboard the luxurious Deccan Odyssey train, watching an array of landscapes unfold, learning about Indian culture, and savoring top-notch meals. Insightful stops introduce you to dhobis of Mumbai's open-air laundry, artisans in Jaipur's bazaar, and Varanasi's chanting priests, among much else. The second portion of the trip takes you to Darjeeling on its famous narrow-gauge railway, giving you a chance to savor Himalayan vistas and tea country before heading to Kolkata. Visits to UNESCO World Heritage Sites, including Humayun’s Tomb, Fatehpur Sikri, and the must-see Taj Mahal, pepper this one-of-a-kind adventure.
Explore compelling Mumbai, including the Elephanta Island caves, Dhobi Ghats, and colorful markets The Deccan Odyssey welcomes you aboard and embarks.
Discover the Rajasthani capital of Jaipur and enchanting, lake-laden Udaipur, marveling at majestic palaces and Mughal architecture.
After a taste of Delhi, more UNESCO World Heritage Sites await: the shimmering Taj Mahal, the red-sandstone and white-marble Agra Fort, and the ghost town of Fatehpur Sikri.
In Varanasi, witness time-honored Hindu rituals from a river cruise on the holy Ganges, and meander through ancient alleyways, bazaars, and temples.
The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway connects you to Darjeeling, a fabled colonial hill station Immerse yourself in history, tea plantations, monasteries, and stunning views of 28,169-foot Mount Kanchenchunga.
Fly to Kolkata, a fascinating mix of East and West, and visit the tree-lined paths of the Victoria Memorial before a farewell dinner and flights home.
Dates & Prices
2/7/19 – 2/21/19 – Limited availability
2/6/20 – 2/20/20
From $14,995 per person
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations and most meals
- All gratuities
- All ground transportation, including airport transfers
- All entrance fees, sightseeing, events, service charges, and standard taxes
- Services of expedition leader, lecturers, and support staff
- Coffee, tea, and drinking water in your train cabin
- Generous allowance of soft drinks, beer, and wine during lunch and dinner
- Assistance with required visa support documents
- Luggage handling
- Emergency evacuation services up to $300,000; secondary medical expense insurance up to $50,000
Where We're Going in 2019Read More
Must-See UNESCO World Heritage Sites You May Never Have Heard OfRead More
UNESCO’s World Heritage: What It Means & Why It MattersRead More
Sunrise Over the Indian HimalayaRead More
Staff Roundup: Unexpected WondersRead More
Exploring India’s Wild SideRead More