Overland Lhasa to Kathmandu With Peter Hillary
Luxury Group Travel | 15 Days
- Join famed mountaineer Peter Hillary on spectacularly scenic drives across the Tibetan Plateau, the ‘roof of the world’
- Learn how Tibet has evolved and changed through the eyes of someone who has been traveling there since 2003
- Visit Tibet’s famed Potala Palace and holy sites like the hilltop Ganden Monastery
- Retrace the footsteps of renowned mountaineers en route to Mount Everest
- Experience unforgettable insight into one of the most fascinating and complicated cultures of our time
Peter Hillary calls this trip from Lhasa to Kathmandu “the best road journey in the world, with stunning landscapes, rich culture, wonderful people, and the greatest mountain range on earth.” We’re exhilarated that Peter is leading this Himalayan journey for us, and his enthusiasm and expertise infuse every day. Starting in Lhasa, Tibet, we explore the Potala Palace and join pilgrims at Jokhang Temple. We travel through dramatic landscapes, over mountain passes, and along winding rivers to see magnificent chortens and remote monasteries. Enchanted by Peter’s storytelling, we reach the foot of Everest at 17,000 feet, where we take in views of the peak and visit the world’s highest monastery. Descending from the Tibetan Plateau, we pass through austere mountains to lush valleys and into Nepal, where Kathmandu reveals ancient temples and shrines, bustling public squares, and traditional ceremonies.
1 – 4
After an overnight in Beijing, fly to Lhasa and delve into the holy city’s many sights including the Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, and Drepung and Sera Monasteries Wander the temple bazaar buzzing with interesting people and wares.
Visit Ganden Monastery outside Lhasa Optional hour-long circumambulation for spectacular views of the valley floor below.
6 – 9
Drive through the dramatic scenery of the Tibetan Plateau, stopping at mountain lakes and passing verdant farmland See the grand Kumbum chorten and well-preserved city of Gyantse Ramble the shrines, halls, and chapels of the Tashilunpo walled monastic complex in Shigatse Optional 3-hour hike to Ngor Monastery.
10 – 12
Journey towards Everest, stopping for astonishing views of the mountain Visit the world’s highest monastery at Rongbuk Traverse high mountain passes before descending into lush valleys en route to Nepal, crossing the border, and traveling through traditional villages and farms before arriving in Kathmandu.
13 – 14
Enjoy a scenic Mt. Everest sightseeing flight Experience Kathmandu’s many sights including Swayambhunath Shrine, Kathmandu and Patan Durbar Squares, and Pashupatinath Temple Participate in Hindu and Buddhist offering ceremonies to complete the trip.
Dates & Prices
10/14/22 – 10/28/22
10/13/23 – 10/27/23
Group Trip: Please check back for 2022 and 2023 pricing.
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- Accommodations and meals as noted in the itinerary
- All ground transportation, including airport transfers
- Internal flights as noted in the itinerary and priced above
- Services of a GeoEx trip leader, assistant trip leader, local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Gratuities for the GeoEx trip leader and assistant trip leader
- Gratuities for local guides, drivers, porters, and other staff
- All sightseeing, activities, and visits as noted in the itinerary
- All entrance fees, service charges, and standard taxes
- Bottled or filtered water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Emergency evacuation services up to $300,000; secondary medical expense insurance up to $50,000 (restrictions apply; a description of coverage is available upon request)
Where GeoEx Travel Experts Are Dreaming of Going in 2021Read More
Heartful Homecoming: A Conversation with Peter HillaryRead More
Bringing History & Culture Alive: A Conversation with Manoj SharmaRead More
Adventures in Beauty & Surprise: A Conversation with Bart JordansRead More
Tomorrow – Experiencing Hindu Death RitualsRead More
A Butter Lamp Offering for Anthony BourdainRead More