Pilgrimage to Bhutan with Dr. Robert Thurman
Group | 14 Days | Easy to Moderate Touring
- Talks and daily meditation led by renowned Buddhist scholar, Dr. Robert Thurman
- Bumthang region’s ancient temples and sacred monuments
- Dramatically perched Trongsa Dzong, Bhutan’s largest fortress
- Verdant Phobjikha Valley, winter nesting site for the rare black-necked crane
- Hike to Taktsang Lhakhang, the cliff-clinging Tiger’s Nest Monastery
Acclaimed Buddhist scholar and distinguished author Dr. Robert Thurman leads us on an extraordinary spiritual journey through the last remaining Tibetan Buddhist kingdom: Bhutan. Together we explore sacred temples and monasteries, enjoy day hikes through lovely landscapes, and take time for daily meditation and teachings. Along the way, we also examine Bhutan’s unique cultural, religious, and environmental positions and its efforts at continuation and preservation. The trip is co-led by GeoEx’s award-winning Brent Olson. Brent has traveled to the Land of the Thunder Dragon more than 45 times in the last 27 years and is the ranking Western expert on the Himalayan Kingdom.
You guys have the BEST Bhutan team.– Steve S.
Arrive in historic Paro for Dr. Thurman’s introductory lecture on Buddhism and meditation Admire views of eastern Himalayan peaks, stopping into many treasured dzong.
Fly to Bumthang, its forested valleys dotted with small monasteries, stone houses, and lively markets Visit Membartsho, where Pema Lingpa discovered sacred, hidden teachings.
Drive to Phobjikha Valley via Trongsa Walk among glacier-carved landscapes, where revered black-necked cranes winter Wander the wealthy, private, 17th-century Gangteng Gompa.
Next to Punakha Valley, where green, terraced fields yield red rice and winter wheat Explore the ancient capital and its massive, riverside fortress, listening to the legends that shaped the land.
Meander the present-day capital of Thimphu, a bustling mix of the Himalaya and the West Rub elbows with local folks at a handicrafts school, nunnery, and archery match.
Enjoy an exhilarating and inspiring hike to the iconic Tiger’s Nest Depart for connections home or onward.
Dates & Prices
10/14/19 – 10/27/19 – Limited space; please call
From $15,875 per person (Group Trip)
Plus donation to Tibet House: $1000 per person
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All meals
- Services of Dr. Robert Thurman, Brent Olson, and a Tibet House representative
- Services of local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Gratuities for the GeoEx trip leader, local guides, drivers, and other staff
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- All sightseeing, events, and entrance fees Bhutan visa fees
- Bottled or filtered water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance