Group | 11 Days | Moderate to Rigorous Touring and Hiking
- Hike through remote, gorgeous mountain scenery to the famous Fitz Roy peaks
- Cross from Chile to Argentina by foot and boat
- Nights at charming, isolated wilderness lodges
- Support conservation in the future Patagonia National Park
- Group is limited to 10 travelers
After decades of traveling to the southern tip of the Americas, we thought it impossible to get any farther off the grid. Until we did. This adventure takes us into the impressively remote Aysén region to explore a national park in the making, where we learn about efforts to protect vulnerable ecosystems, recover endangered species, and support local communities. We hike across the Chile-Argentina border where there are no roads, luxuriate in a wonderfully isolated lodge set on a pristine alpine lake, and spend time in the presence of the Fitz Roy peaks.
Merlin was welcoming, patient, prepared (always prepared!), flexible...the list goes on! He was simply excellent.– Allison S.
After a night in Santiago, we fly to the sparsely populated Aysén region and make the scenic drive to Chacabuco Valley and its elegant eco-lodge.
Hikes in the future Patagonia National Park take us past guanacos to stunning mountain vistas Friends at Conservación Patagónica discuss their efforts to protect ecosystems and support local communities.
The lonely Carretera Austral leads us along alpine valleys, rivers, and a few farmsteads to the frontier town of Villa O'Higgins, where the road ends.
Boat across turquoise Lago O’Higgins and follow wooded trails into Argentina Enchanting Lago del Desierto is our base for accessing little-traveled trails among beautiful peaks and glaciers.
We descend into the town of El Chaltén by boat, vehicle, and foot, and if energy permits, hike to Laguna de los Tres for more wonderful summit views.
Ambling among the spiky Fitz Roy peaks, we ascend through native lenga forest into high alpine terrain Fly from El Calafate to Buenos Aires and depart.
The optional Torres del Paine extension travels via Perito Moreno Glacier to Chile for hiking and wildlife watching among colossal massifs, glaciers, and gnarled Magellanic trees Fly home via Santiago.
Dates & Prices
2/21/18 – 3/3/18 (trip ends 3/7 with optional Torres del Paine extension)
From $8975 per person (Group Trip)
Internal airfare (economy class): $600–$700 per person
Optional Torres del Paine extension: $3975 per person
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of a GeoEx trip leader, local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance