Hill Tribes of Northern Vietnam
Custom Travel | 9 Days
- Road trip among rugged peaks, terraced rice fields, and hanging valleys of rural Vietnam
- Village and market visits with Tay, Hmong, and Dao people in remote and beautiful northwest Ha Giang Province
- Limestone formations, tropical rain forest, waterfalls, and biodiversity in Ba Be National Park
- Opportunities to hike from villages for vibrant views of terraced hillsides, lush valleys, and towering cliff faces
- Custom trip—this sample itinerary is just a starting point
In Vietnam’s north lies Ha Giang Province, a mountainous land of deep and undisturbed beauty. In the villages of Ha Giang, we’ve found the kind of gorgeous landscapes and traditional ways of life that make Vietnam such a marvelous destination. The area’s scenery, however, is not its only draw. The area is a rich tapestry of ethnic minority culture.
Your adventure begins with a drive north from Hanoi to Ha Giang, where you hike leisurely in emerald hills and make your way through timeless villages of Dao, Hmong, Tay, and other ethnic groups. You then travel the waterways, falls, and limestone formations of beautiful Ba Be National Park before returning to Hanoi to catch your homeward flight, knowing that relatively few travelers have experienced this gorgeous pocket of the planet.
1 – 2
Arrive in Hanoi and embark on a scenic drive to the Ha Giang Province, known for its uniquely preserved tribal culture Visit a local Tay village, whose people settled in these valleys in 500 BCE.
3 – 5
Delve deeper into Ha Giang, visiting villages of White Hmong, Dao Lanten, Ao Dai, and LoLo people Explore vibrant markets, where different tribes come together to trade Optional hikes through terraced fields and along mountain trails offer jaw-dropping scenery.
6 – 7
Weave through extraordinary landscape on your drive to Ba Be National Park, resplendent with deep valleys, rivers, and limestone peaks Embark on a full-day boat excursion along the Nang River, stopping to explore a 1,000-foot tall limestone cave and waterfront villages with stunning views.
8 – 9
Return to Hanoi and enjoy a free afternoon, or take in some of the city’s sights before your departure.
Dates & Prices
Custom Trips Offered October - May
From $6,000 per person (Custom Trip)
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled or filtered water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance