The South Pole & Emperor Penguins
Group Travel | 10 Days
- Be one of the few people to ever set foot on Antarctica proper
- Base your explorations from the eco-conscious Camp Whichaway
- Choose from a range of activities, from kite-skiing to ice tunnel trekking
- Commune with emperor penguins in Atka Bay
- Walk around the world in just a few paces at the South Pole
Reaching the lowest point on earth is not a claim many travelers can make, and this journey ventures further than others to explore Antarctica’s isolated interior. We fly in from South Africa and settle into the White Continent’s surprisingly luxurious Camp Whichaway. Each day we’re as active as we wish, joining expert guides for technical rock and ice climbing or gentle hikes to admire unimaginable coastal formations. We then immerse ourselves in an astonishing colony of 6,000 emperor penguins—incredibly photogenic and remarkably unafraid of humans—and visit the even more remote South Pole.
1 – 3
Fly to Antarctica, the land of 24-hour sunshine, and settle into the surprisingly luxurious Camp Whichaway, known for its award-winning chef and zero-impact environmental policy.
2 – 9
Visit the South Pole, surround yourself with emperor penguins at Atka Bay, revel in majestic scenery-gazing, discover ice tunnels, and opt for relaxing or adrenaline-inducing excursions.
Return to Cape Town and depart, or enjoy further explorations (GeoEx is happy to make the arrangements).
There are also 7-, 8-, and 9-day itineraries. The 7-day trip features the South Pole, but not the penguin colony.
You will need to arrive in Cape Town at least two days prior to the trip and we recommend spending one or two nights in South Africa after the trip to allow for possible flight delays from Antarctica.
Dates & Prices
Please call for availability or to be wait-listed for the upcoming season.
$92,500 per person
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of a GeoEx trip leader, local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance