Luxury Group Travel | 14 Days
- Bagan’s stunning Plain of Temples from above and below via hot-air balloon and overland excursions
- Shin Pyu initiation ceremony, Buddhist monuments, boat excursions, and stilt villages at Inle Lake
- Shrines and monasteries of Mandalay; Yangon with a pre-dawn visit to gleaming Shwedagon Pagoda
- Rural adventures visiting a pottery village, Danu community, and conservation-focused elephant camp
- Burmese cuisine through cooking demos and classes, market visits, and special dining experiences
Off the travel radar for decades, this trip returns to some of Myanmar’s classic sights and explores new experiences and exchanges with local people who give fresh insight into how life has changed in recent years.
Starting in Yangon, meander markets, sample savory cuisine, and watch the light play off the golden Shwedagon Pagoda at dawn. Taste your way through Bagan, where between bites you explore the thousands of temples that punctuate the landscape, including a birds-eye view from hot-air balloons. Visit a rural village on the banks of the Irrawaddy River and sail to historic Mandalay, where an enduring teak wood monastery and sunset stroll on the world’s longest teak bridge are among the highlights.
Travel to Shan State, where hill tribe communities farm tea and mangoes in the highlands and Buddha-filled caves delight. Spend a wonderful morning feeding and bathing retired elephants in the river valley before heading for peaceful Inle Lake. Glide between leg-rowing fishermen and romantic temples at the lake’s edge, and witness young Buddhist monks entering the monastery in the Shin Pyu ceremony before returning to Yangon.
1 – 2
Arriving in Yangon, your introduction begins with colonial architecture and golden temples Watch the sun rise over Shwedagon Pagoda and stroll ethnic neighborhoods with bustling markets.
3 – 4
Fly to Bagan and see thousands of temples spread out across the plain from a hot-air balloon Get a close-up view of some of the most spectacular temples with your guide, and sample local cuisine through a market tour and cooking demonstration.
5 – 7
Travel overland into the countryside, getting to know the people in the rural pottery village of Yandabo Cruise along the Irrawaddy to Mandalay Explore teak, marble, and gold temple artistry, see the ancient island capital of Inwa, and visit local artisan workshops.
8 – 9
Take a short flight to Heho and ascend through rice fields to the Shan Plateau View the magnificent Pindaya Caves and tour green tea plantations tended by the Danu people Help bathe and feed elephants and learn about sustainability projects.
10 – 12
Drive to Inle Lake and boat between floating markets, stilt villages, and leg-rowing fishermen Join a chef for a market tour and cooking lesson Witness the preparations and powerful Shin Pyu Ceremony, as Buddhist boys enter the monastery.
13 – 14
Return to Yangon for a few more delicious meals and visits to local artisan workshops before departing.
Dates & Prices
02/13/22 – 02/26/22
11/02/22 – 11/15/22
Custom Trips offered October-March.
Group Trip: From $6,835 per person
based on double occupancy
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled or filtered water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance