Persia & the Silk Road by Train
Group | 16 Days | Moderate Train Journey
- Explore four countries: Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan
- Journey by stylish Golden Eagle train
- Meet friendly Iranians and see fabled Silk Road cities
- Ancient meets modern, from amazing Islamic architecture to a space launch site
- Inclusive pricing: Once on the trip, just about everything is included—even gratuities
This rail journey between Tehran and Almaty is perfect for the traveler who loves ease and aches for adventure. You’ll cross vast swaths of the Orient aboard the elegant Golden Eagle train, taking in ancient and modern wonders while enjoying fascinating lectures and evolving scenery. After first experiencing Tehran, key stops en route to Central Asia include ancient Persepolis, Shiraz (the city of painters and poets), and Esfahan, the ancient Persian capital. Once in Uzbekistan, explore a trio of spectacular Silk Road cities.
Experience vibrant Tehran, Iran's cosmopolitan capital, visiting such highlights as the Crown Jewels Museum and the Golestan Palace Settle you’re your Golden Eagle cabin and embark.
Explorations of Esfahan, Shiraz, and Persepolis reveal fascinating history, beautiful architecture, remarkable ruins, grand gardens, handicraft bazaars, and the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Sheikh Lotfollah Mosque.
Rayen, Mahan, and Kerman: Explore the 20,000 square foot Rayen Castle and mausoleum of Shah Nematollah Vali See the famous princess garden of Mahan.
Mashhad is the holiest place in modern-day Iran: spend a full day seeing its sights Get to know Yazd, one of the world’s oldest cities, and Mahan, home to a Mongol-era tomb.
See UNESCO-listed Khiva, Bukhara, and Samarkand, reveling in stunning mosques, minarets, and madrasas Tashkent, Uzbekistan’s modern capital, holds the world’s oldest Koran.
Almaty: visit Panfilov Parkand the Zenkov Cathedral, a 19th century Russian Orthodox Church made entirely of wood. Depart for home from Almaty.
Please note: This trip can also be taken in the reverse direction.
Dates & Prices
10/2/19 – 10/17/19 (Persia & the Silk Road; Almaty to Tehran)
10/13/19 – 10/30/19 (Persian Odyssey; Tehran to Moscow)
From $20,395 per person
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of an expedition leader, lecturers, and support staff during voyage
- Personal headsets on all off-train excursions
- All gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
Iran in PicturesRead More
The Splendors & Surprises of a Trip To IranRead More
Must-See UNESCO World Heritage Sites You May Never Have Heard OfRead More
UNESCO’s World Heritage: What It Means & Why It MattersRead More
Is it Safe to Travel to Iran: What Americans Need to KnowRead More
Staff Roundup: Unexpected WondersRead More