Eastern India's Tribal Tapestry
Group and Custom | 12 Days | Moderate Touring
- Get off the beaten path, gaining special access to eastern India with thoughtful local guides
- Explore complex tribal cultures and artistic traditions during market and village visits
- Revel in magnificent temples in Bhubaneswar, Puri, and Visakhapatnam
- Enjoy a cooking class, homemade meals, and comfy country guesthouses
- Opt to add insider experiences with a pre-trip extension in vibrant Kolkata
Hidden within the rolling hills and fertile valleys of India’s Eastern Ghats is a plethora of fascinating indigenous cultures that rely on the forests for their livelihood, living as hunter-gatherers, farmers, fishermen, or cattle herders, largely isolated from modern life. Odisha alone is home to 62 tribes—the most of any state in India—which is why GeoEx’s Kristina Tuohey has chosen to focus this itinerary there. Recently back from the region, Kristina crafted this journey to take adventurous travelers into hard-to-reach tribal areas to interact with their inhabitants and learn about their traditions and disappearing ways of life. You’ll experience colorful markets, but also spend time in villages, meeting with elders, priests, and artisans, and enjoy country walks and home-cooked meals. Along the way, you’ll see some of India’s finest medieval temple architecture, including the Konark Sun Temple, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
In the hands of GeoEx, I have no worries over safety or logistics. They provided access to extraordinary experiences through a network of local guides who are friendly and knowledgeable... These are experiences I could never even imagine on my own, and they are daily experiences with GeoEx, creating memories that will stay with me forever.– Susan G.
After a night in Kolkata, fly to Bhubaneswar, Odisha's capital, set at the crossroads of Hindu, Buddhist, and Jain religions Visit some of the city's impressive temples and mingle with pilgrims.
Behold the 13th-century Konark Sun Temple, a UNESCO World Heritage Site A rickshaw ride introduces you to Puri's revered Jagannath Temple Learn from locals about the arts of appliqué and palm leaf engraving.
Your flight to Visakhapatnam brings you closer to Odisha's tribal areas See the 11th-century Simhachalam Temple at its most lively and discover coastal fishing villages.
Travel to Odisha's tribal villages in the Eastern Ghats, where members of the Kui Kondh, Parja, and Mali tribes offer insight into their arts and traditions An evening cooking class incorporates locally grown vegetables and spices.
Colorful weekly markets offer a window into daily tribal life: Bonda, Gadaba, Dongaria Kondh, and Didayi peoples—many donning their distinctive traditional dress—barter for all manner of goods, from palm wine to cattle Walk from village to village, interacting with members of the Muniaka Kondh, Baro Gadaba, and Ollar Gadaba groups and see bamboo basket weavers at work.
Drive to Visakhapatnam and fly to Kolkata After a night to enjoy the city at your leisure, you're taken to the airport for flights home or onward.
Dates & Prices
10/24/18 – 11/4/18 (Sold out; Wait list only)
11/7/18 – 11/18/18 (Limited availability)
1/23/19 – 2/3/19
2/13/19 – 2/24/19
10/16/19 – 10/27/19
11/13/19 – 11/24/19
Custom Trips offered October–March
From $6420 per person
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- All meals
- Most gratuities
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance