Himalayan Traverse with Peter Hillary
Luxury Group Travel | 15 Days
- Join famed mountaineer Peter Hillary to retrace his historic Himalaya crossing – no trekking required
- Sensational views of some of the world’s highest peaks
- Visit the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute
- An insider’s look at cultural gems in Ladakh, Darjeeling, Kathmandu, and Bhutan
- Nights in charming, comfortable hotels
In the early 1980s, Graeme Dingle, Chewang Tashi, and Peter Hillary (son of acclaimed mountaineer Sir Edmund Hillary) made history by traversing the Himalaya from Kangchenjunga in northeast India to K2 in Pakistan. In 10 months, they trekked some 3,000 miles across rugged terrain and dozens of 17,000–20,000-foot passes, sleeping in tents on glaciers and in local shepherd’s huts (you can read about it in their book, First Across the Roof of the World). Almost 40 years later, Peter Hillary is set to retrace this adventure across India, Nepal, and Bhutan, this time opting for cozy hotels, travel by road and airplane, and the company of GeoEx travelers.
This could well be the most amazing journey across the Himalaya short of walking it!– Peter Hillary
1 – 4
After a night in Delhi, fly to Leh, tucked in the mountainous Ladakh region Ladakhi culture and Tibetan Buddhist architecture reveal themselves at the royal palace, whitewashed monasteries, and multicultural bazaar.
5 – 7
Fly to Kathmandu to explore the UNESCO-lauded valley and its ancient temples, palaces, and Newar craftsmanship A scenic flight whisks you up close to Mount Everest's summit.
8 – 10
Back to India, Darjeeling welcomes you with tea plantations, colonial history, and stunning mountain views from Observation Hill and the world-famous Darjeeling Himalayan Railway.
11 – 13
Continue to the kingdom of Bhutan The capital, Thimphu, beckons lovers of artisanal craft: see traditional weaving, silverwork, beading, and papermaking at workshops and the market.
14 – 15
Hike to the legendary, cliff-hanging Tiger's Nest monastery, the spectacular finale of this journey Fly to Bangkok and depart.
Dates & Prices
11/02/22 – 11/16/22
11/01/23 – 11/15/23
Group trip: Please check back for 2022 and 2023 pricing.
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of a GeoEx trip leader, local guides, drivers, and other staff
- All gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
Where GeoEx Travel Experts Are Going in 2022Read More
Where to Go in 2022: Our Expert PicksRead More
Life-Changing Travel ExperiencesRead More
The Supreme Soak: Best Hotel Bathtubs Around the WorldRead More
Where GeoEx Travel Experts Are Dreaming of Going in 2021Read More
Where to Travel in 2021: Our Top PicksRead More