Himalayan Kingdoms: Tibet, Bhutan & Nepal
Custom Travel | 15 Days
- Combine the treasures of three Himalayan nations in one thoughtfully arranged adventure
- Lhasa’s grand Potala Palace, UNESCO-listed Kathmandu Valley, and the dramatically perched Tiger’s Nest Monastery in Bhutan
- Immersive experiences: choed (or sacred drum ceremony) in Bhutan, guided meditation in a Tibetan temple
- Over three decades of experience planning travel throughout these countries
- Fully customizable, this sample itinerary is just a starting point
Tucked in the high eastern Himalaya lie Tibet, Nepal, and Bhutan. Explorers like Csoma de Koros, Sven Hedin, and George Mallory each managed to land in one of these far-off places, but none could claim all three. This unusual 15-day journey offers the chance to do just that—with a level of style and comfort completely foreign to those early adventurers.
Starting off from Beijing, soar over the stunning Tibetan Plateau to Lhasa. You’re dazzled by ancient holy sites including the massive Potala Palace and riveted by the well-worn lanes of the colorful Barkhor. Fly on to Nepal to explore the medieval and modern treasures of the Kathmandu Valley, an area so rich in history and architecture that the entire valley has earned the status of World Heritage Site. Another breathtaking flight whisks you to the hidden Dragon Kingdom of Bhutan for five wonderful days, during which you hike to the incomparable Tiger’s Nest, visit local artisans, and soak up the peaceful ambience in masterfully built dzong. After experiencing these three mystical Himalayan kingdoms, you’ll appreciate anew why hero-explorers dreamed of reaching them all.
1 – 5
Overnight in Beijing before flying to Lhasa to spend three days marveling at stunning Buddhist temples and monasteries, wandering an exuberant Tibetan market, and experiencing the many charms of the Potala Palace.
6 – 8
Fly into UNESCO-acclaimed Kathmandu Valley Explore the Buddhist Swayambhunath temple and stupa, the Hindu Shiva temple at Pashupatinath, and the architecture and long-standing traditions preserved in the ancient cities of Nepal.
9 – 10
Fly to Paro and continue by road to Thimphu Begin your exploration of Bhutanese culture through textiles, metalwork, and archery.
11 – 13
Winding through the Himalaya, arrive at Punakha where the impressive dzong sits majestically at the confluence of two rivers and temples and chorten await in the surrounding hills.
13 – 15
Return to Paro for a hike to the magical Taktsang Lhakhang monastery, the Tiger’s Nest, perched on a vertical cliff 2,000 feet above the valley floor Fly to Bangkok and depart.
Dates & Prices
Custom Trips offered year-round
From $11,545 per person (Custom Trip)
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled or filtered water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
The Blessings of BhutanRead More
Where GeoEx Travel Experts are Going in 2020Read More
Places We Love: Top Travel Destinations In The World for 2019Read More
Tomorrow – Experiencing Hindu Death RitualsRead More
A Butter Lamp Offering for Anthony BourdainRead More
Top 10 Things to Pack For BhutanRead More