Ethiopia: The Island of Africa
Group and Custom | 18 Days | Moderate to Rigorous Touring
- See geladas in the Simien Mountains with baboon researchers
- Meet tribespeople in the remote Omo Valley
- Lalibela's UNESCO-listed rock churches and Gheralta's little-known cave-carved sanctuaries
- Safari in the Bale Mountains, watching for the endangered Ethiopian wolf
- Add time in Harar or the Danakil Depression
This newly updated journey takes us far and wide, north to south, in a madly interesting, scenically booming country. We explore its immense history, spanning religions as diverse as Islam, Christianity, and Judaism, and discover its stunning landscapes and rare wildlife. Wandering far off the beaten path, we're privy to cultural and natural wonders that few travelers see. Between the unusual wildlife, cave-carved churches, 80-plus ethnic groups, and soaring mountains with larger-than-life flora, it's hard to say what is most surprising about Ethiopia. We invite you to decide for yourself.
We enjoyed the trip—with all its wonderful experiences and lovely people and challenging moments that make a travel experience deep. We are still talking about it with our friends and our children, and sorting it all out for ourselves. It was certainly not just another trip.– Mary B.
Explore Addis Ababa, Ethiopia’s multifaceted capital, with guided visits to local markets, galleries, and other noteworthy sights.
A scenic flight to the Simien Mountains takes us into the realm of geladas, found only in the Ethiopian highlands We learn about them from primate researches and wander through spectacular scenery.
Flying to Lalibela, feast your eyes on UNESCO-listed rock-hewn churches before continuing to off-the-radar Gheralta region, home to thousands of mysterious cliff- and cave-carved sanctuaries.
A safari in the Bale Mountains National Park may offer sightings of rare Ethiopian wolf, mountain nyala, and 16 endemic bird species amid landscapes that defy expectation, from lush rain forest to red-rock plateau.
We jet south to the Lower Omo Valley, an as-yet-undeveloped region Boat upriver to meet the Karo people (famous for ornate body art) and visit other handsome tribes Fly to Addis and depart.
Optional three-day post-trip extension to the holy city of Harar We can also arrange thrilling helicopter trips to the otherworldly Danakil Depression. Please ask for details.
Dates & Prices
6/10/19 – 6/25/19
10/10/19 – 10/25/19
Custom Trips offered year-round
Group Trip: From $9275 per person
Please check back for 2019 pricing.
Custom Trip: Please call for individually tailored recommendations and pricing.
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of a GeoEx trip leader (on Group Trips), local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
Flying High: Best Helicopter Tours In The WorldRead More
Must-See UNESCO World Heritage Sites You May Never Have Heard OfRead More
Giving Back Around the WorldRead More
Exploring Ethiopia by HelicopterRead More
The Coffee CeremonyRead More
Staff Report: Ethiopia Highlight -- Witnessing Worship at LalibelaRead More