Conservation’s Cutting Edge in the Congo
Custom Travel | 9 Days
- Be one of the few travelers to explore Virunga National Park, wonderfully diverse and little visited
- Track critically endangered mountain gorillas
- Learn from the country’s top private guides and conservation advocates
- Overnight atop Mount Nyiragongo, a volcano with a bubbling lava lake
- Bird-watch, kayak, and relax on Tchegera Island
Update: Due to security concerns in the region, we are not currently operating this overland itinerary. Please contact us for other travel options in the Democratic Republic of Congo, including via helicopter.
Africa’s oldest national park and one of the continent’s most biodiverse spots, Virunga has seen more than its share of adversity. But thanks to the fierce dedication of conservation advocates, the park has experienced an unprecedented resurgence in recent years. During a period of relative calm in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, we carefully take you in alongside top rangers and other insiders. You’ll ramble through rain forests, savannahs, lava plains, and swamps, reveling in active volcanoes, incredible birdlife, and moments shared with critically endangered mountain gorillas.
I came to realize that, for sophisticated travelers, the real purpose of a visit to Virunga is to gain an understanding of what’s at stake—to appreciate why people are willing to risk their lives to protect this extraordinary place.– Sophy Roberts, Travel + Leisure
Alight in Nairobi, Kenya, and overnight at an elegant property with a resident herd of Rothschild giraffes—they’re likely to join you for breakfast.
After flying to Kigali, Rwanda, drive to the DRC and Virunga National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its diverse landscapes and wildlife Savor views of towering 14,560-foot Mount Mikeno.
3 – 4
Gorilla treks in Virunga National Park introduce you to some of the world’s 100 remaining Gorilla beringei beringei Enjoy a sundowner on the deck of your forest-tucked bungalow overlooking the Rift Valley.
Gaze at the planet’s largest lava lake, your reward for hiking up 11,385-foot Mount Nyiragongo Overnight on its rim, listening to gases explode up through molten lava.
6 – 7
Tchegera Island welcomes you for kayaking on Lake Kivu, watching for birds like African eagles, and savoring views of the water and four surrounding volcanoes.
8 – 9
Return to Kigali and fly to Nairobi, where you enjoy another night before catching flights home.
Dates & Prices
Custom Trips offered year-round
Please call for individually tailored recommendations and pricing.
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, game drives, events, visits, and entrance fees
- All park and conservation fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of professional wildlife guides/drivers and camp staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
Travel that TransformsRead More