Yunnan: South of the Clouds
Custom Travel | 13 Days
- Private, customized journey
- Explore historic Lijiang and untouristed towns
- Meet Yi, Bai, Lisu, and Tibetan people
- See carvings at remote temples and caves that survived the Cultural Revolution
- Optional hikes amid stunning valleys and glaciers
We’re Yunnan fans, and to show you why, we’ve designed a customizable trip that ventures far off the beaten track to little-touristed villages and towns, while still paying respects to the cities worth seeing. We’ve scouted out sensational hiking options to showcase the splendid scenery and offer encounters with Yi, Bai, Lisu, and Tibetan peoples, whose unique cultures inspire fascinating conversations. And we’ve identified the hidden gems of temples and lodgings that we can’t wait to share with you.
We love GeoEx and their choice of guides and their attention to the customization of travel for their clients.– AMIE J.
1 – 3
Overnight in Kunming before flying to Dali, a major entrepôt on the southern Silk Road set amid 19 peaks and 18 streams Weishan's narrow streets lead you past historic buildings, drum towers, and family-run shops.
4 – 5
You're welcomed at a Bai village en route to Shaxi, a stop on the ancient Pu’erh tea trading route Browse Shaxi's Friday market before hiking to the Shibaoshan Grottoes and its millenia-old stone carvings.
6 – 8
After discovering Lijiang's UNESCO-acclaimed Old Town, take a spectacular route to Tacheng, visiting Tibetan villages and Baima Nature Reserve, known for medicinal plants and golden monkeys.
9 – 10
Follow the Yangtze River to Mount Meili, stopping for Nixi black-earth pottery and giant Buddhas at Dhondupling Monastery An optional glacier hike may treat you to views of the sacred 22,107-foot peak.
11 – 13
The Ringha Valley dazzles with snow peaks, tumbling waterfalls, and high-alpine lakes and grassland Explore monasteries, including the "Little Potala Palace," and share tea with a Tibetan family Fly to Kunming and depart.
Dates & Prices
Custom Trips offered year-round
Custom Trips: From $7,975 per person
based on double occupancy
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
Where GeoEx Travel Experts are Going in 2020Read More
UNESCO’s World Heritage: What It Means & Their ImportanceRead More
Understanding China TourismRead More
Places We Love: Top Destinations for 2018Read More
Splendors of the Silk Road: KashgarRead More
Splendors of the Silk Road: DunhuangRead More