Essence of China
Custom | 12 Days | Easy Touring
- Special-access visits to museums and palaces
- Beijing's iconic sites and Shanghai's hidden corners
- Excursions by bike and raft, and time with local families
- Get up close to the Terracotta Warriors
- Guilin's gorgeous karst mountains and traditions
In less than two weeks, Essence of China captures much of what endlessly excites us about this huge, galactically diverse country. In addition to the key places you'll see—Beijing, Xian, Guilin, Yangshuo, and Shanghai—our China celebrants have arranged rare visits and performances, lined up meals at brilliant restaurants (simple local spots and urban sophisticates), and chosen a number of the country’s most intelligently conceived hotels. The itinerary below is just a starting point; we'll tailor it your specific interests, time frame, and preferences.
We found the trip to be a wonderful experience and plan to return to China at a future date. We would recommend GeoEx as the perfect travel partner.– Arny P.
Arriving in Beijing, discover key sights, including the Temple of Heaven, Tiananmen Square, and the Forbidden City, where you're invited into a palace normally closed to public Walk along a lesser-visited section of the Great Wall of China, marveling at its construction and views.
A flight whisks you to Xian to commune with the astonishing Terracotta Warriors Delight in special access to the Tang Dynasty frescoes and to the curator's restoration room at the oft-missed Hanyanling Museum.
After flying to Guilin, a wonderland of limestone karsts, gaze at the scenery during a Li River cruise, stroll in an authentic fishing village, and bike the quiet lanes behind Yangshuo A family workshop welcomes you, sharing its tradition of hand-making exquisite folding fans adorned with traditional Chinese landscape paintings or calligraphy.
Fly to Shanghai, the country's commercial center, and get a sense of the dislocations, advances, and yearnings of today's China Visit the water town of Zhujiajiao, with ancient streets, twisting waterways, and Ming and Qing Dynasty-era houses and bridges Depart.
Dates & Prices
Custom Trips offered year-round
From $10,625 per person (Custom Trip)
(based on two travelers, sharing a room)
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of a local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance