Chad’s Ennedi: A Celebration of Sandstone
Group Travel | 13 Days
- Journey into Chad’s otherworldly geology
- Sandstone formations rivaling those of the US Southwest’s, but without the crowds
- Sensational prehistoric rock art: Ennedi is an open-air gallery
- Interactions with Sahara Desert nomads
- Guelta d’Archeï, where hundreds of camels come to drink below towering cliffs
Deep in the Sahara Desert, stone pinnacles and cathedral-like rock formations cast their shadows, while hidden gueltas draw crocodiles and camels to quench their thirst. Not only is Chad’s UNESCO-acclaimed Ennedi Massif a feast of jaw-dropping sandstone, it has been home to desert nomads for more than 10,000 years. Past generations have left stellar rock paintings along the cliffs and canyons, and current inhabitants may be seen herding camels and goats across the sand. We join expert Sahara guides to explore this awe-inspiring, little-known corner of the world, traversing sandy expanses by four-wheel-drive vehicle and overnighting in comfortable camps with unparalleled views of the night sky.
1 – 3
After spending a day in N’Djamena, we fly to the Ennedi Massif, and delve into four-by-four explorations of the Sahara, reveling in sandstone formations and the rock art of Terkei.
4 – 6
The sensational Guelta d'Archeï invites camels to drink below vertical rock walls, while we look on We cross oases and dune-dotted valleys, encountering pinnacles, petroglyphs, stone labyrinths, awe-inspiring arches, and friendly nomads.
7 – 11
Our mobile camp travels with us as we spend these next five days on the move We follow an ancient caravan route along red-rock cliffs and ochre-hued sands, stopping in at tiny villages and palm groves where local red salt and dates are harvested Visit the UNESCO Ounianga oases, with one of the most amazing views in the Sahara Relax around the fire, savoring night skies exploding with stars.
12 – 13
A charter flight whisks us back to N’Djamena, where we overnight before departing for home.
In 2021, our Ennedi adventure will be slightly shorter at 9 days. Please call for details.
Dates & Prices
02/07/20 – 02/19/20 (13 days) – Limited space; please call
03/02/21 – 03/10/21 (9 days)
Trips are limited to 8 travelers
2020 Group Trip (13 days): From $19,880 per person
2021 Group Trip (9 days): Please check back for pricing
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All gratuities
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, game drives, events, visits, and entrance fees
- All park and conservation fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of GeoEx trip leader, guides, drivers, and camp staff
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance