Caravans & Conquerors
Group | 16 Days | Moderate Train Journey
- Travel in style and comfort aboard the Golden Eagle train
- Traverse the crossroads of Asia and Europe
- Explore ancient Silk Road cities replete with impressive architecture
- Tour wineries in Georgia, home to the world's first cultivated grapevines
- Opt for 16 days (Caucasus and Silk Road) or 9 days (Caucasus only)
This incredible six-country rail journey connects the beautiful southern Caucasus region with historically sensational Central Asia. Your adventure begins in Yerevan, the capital of Armenia, where you board the elegantly appointed Golden Eagle and glide into Georgia, the crossroads of Western Asia and Eastern Europe. After exploring Baku, Azerbaijan, you fly across the Caspian Sea to reach Turkmenistan. Reunited with the train, you pay visits to the legendary Silk Road cities of Khiva, Bukhara, and Samarkand, and cap off your adventure in Almaty, Kazakhstan, a bustling metropolis.
Explore Armenia's capital, Yerevan, before boarding the train Cabin comforts and onboard lectures complement the scenery en route to stunning Lake Sevan and Dilijan's centuries-old monastery.
Time in Georgia's wine region and a fascinating cave town awaits Experience Georgia's storied capital, Tbilisi, as well as UNESCO-listed Mtskheta.
Savor two hotel nights in Baku, Azerbaijan's capital, set on the Caspian Sea’s western shore Wander Baku’s picturesque old town and revel in pre-historic rock engravings at the Gobustan archaeological site.
A plane whisks you to Ashgabat, Turkmenistan, known for extravagant fountains and glistening domes Return to the Golden Eagle and head east, perhaps side-tripping to Darvaza's burning crater.
Marvel at ancient Khiva and Bukhara, two UNESCO World Heritage Site towns with impressive Islamic architecture and living history.
Trace the Silk Road to Samarkand and Tashkent, appreciating renowned monuments like the Registan Your journey ends in Almaty, Kazakhstan's ever-expanding metropolis.
9-Day Southern Caucasus Explorer: This shorter journey travels between Yerevan, Armenia, and Baku, Azerbaijan; you'll fly home from Baku on Day 9.
Dates & Prices
9/19/19 – 10/4/19 (16 days)
9/19/19 – 9/27/19 (9 days)
9/24/20 – 10/9/20 (16 days)
From $22,595 per person (16 days)
From $13,695 per person (9 days)
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of an expedition leader, lecturers, and support staff during voyage
- Personal headsets on all off-train excursions
- All gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance
The Splendors & Surprises of a Trip To IranRead More
The Epic Allure of Central AsiaRead More
Must-See UNESCO World Heritage Sites You May Never Have Heard OfRead More
Memories from the Silk RoadRead More
Scenes from a Silk Road OdysseyRead More
Weaving the Silk Road from Xian to RomeRead More