Trek into Central Bhutan
Group Travel | 14 Days
- Experience rarely visited valleys in central Bhutan on a 5-day trek
- We’re welcomed like family in our longtime friend’s ancestral village
- Stunning mountains, enchanting chorten, and hidden monasteries
- Visit dzong and temples, gaining insight into history and Buddhism
- See busier hubs of Thimphu and Paro
This unique journey into an extremely remote part central Bhutan feels like a secret celebration. Inspired by our longtime friend Karma Lotey, we hike through hidden valleys to his ancestral village, nicknamed the Takin Village after Bhutan’s national animal. Along the way, we’re treated to cultural encounters and deeply personal interactions we could never experience on our own. The focus of this journey is a five-day, horse-supported trek, on which we ramble through tiny terraced hamlets hanging high above a river. We’re rendered speechless before enchanting chorten, hidden monasteries, and sensational views.
We just returned from our trip to Bhutan and I wanted to write to let you know that apart from the fact that whole trip was excellent and extremely well organized, we really appreciated our guides, the camping support staff, and really all of the people who made our trip memorable and very special!– LARA B.
We had an exceptional trip and our guide and driver were better than excellent. We are GeoEx customers for life now– WAYNE AND BECKY G.
Admire massive Himalayan peaks as we fly to Paro Meander Paro's tiny streets and brightly painted shops, as well as ancient temples set amid bucolic surroundings.
2 – 4
Fly east to Bumthang and visit sacred temples and monuments Drive to Trongsa, learn the legend of the burning lake, and enjoy lovely day hikes in preparation for our trek.
5 – 8
On a moderate, horse-supported trek to our friend's ancestral village, we hike through terraced hamlets and oak forests, cross stunning mountain passes, visit captivating chorten and farmhouses, and are welcomed by villagers with celebrations.
After ending the trek in Bijzam, we drive into Phobjikha Valley Alpine, temperate, and subtropical ecosystems harbor black bears, red foxes, and black-necked cranes—we keep our eyes out.
10 – 11
En route to Punakha, home of Bhutan’s holiest dzong, we explore a 17th-century monastery overlooking the lush Phobjikha hills and wetlands We wend our way to Thimphu by road.
12 – 14
Wander the bustling capital of Thimphu and hike Paro’s magical Taktsang Lhakhang Witness artisans crafting turquoise beads, textiles, and paper, and meander the colorful market Flights home depart from Paro.
Dates & Prices
11/03/20 – 11/16/20
11/04/21 – 11/17/21
From $7,950 per person (Group Trip)
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of a GeoEx trip leader, local guides, drivers, porters and other trek/camp staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance