Heart of Indochina
Group and Custom | 13 Days | Easy Touring
- Explore the beauty and complexity of Vietnam and Laos with superb trip leader
- Experience local life through beyond-the-ordinary insider experiences
- Luxurious, ideally situated accommodations and a Halong Bay cruise
- Culinary exploration with a private cooking class and street-food tour
- Built-in Cambodia extension for Angkor Wat
The vibrant region of Vietnam and Laos is a feast of emerald mountains, lively waterways, and enduring legacies. Along with Cambodia, these countries were once collectively known as Indochina because of their early Hindu and Chinese cultural and artistic influences. This journey transports us into the heart of their modern and ancient worlds. With unusual insider experiences and top-notch guides, we sample delights from street vendors,venture through hidden neighborhoods, and dine in a lovely old private residence. Hands-on opportunities to cook, farm, weave, and commune with monks abound.
In Halong Bay, kayaking through caves was amazing. And the food everywhere was marvelous! The evening Vespa tour in Saigon was the most flat-out fun in spite of needing to close my eyes several times in order not to panic at the chaos on the streets.– Hester S.
[Our Vietnam guide] was remarkable. . . . One of his greatest assets was his ability to engage anyone and everyone in conversation on our behalf, which often led to incredibly rewarding conversations with people from all walks of life.– Fiona W.
Explore Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), discovering corners rarely seen by Westerners, along with iconic sites Opt for a show at the Opera House or a nighttime Vespa tour.
Flying to Hoi An, we marvel at the Full Moon Lantern Festival, humpbacked bridges, lacquerware shops, and cooking wizardry Magnificent temples at My Son speak of ancient dynasties.
Our days in Hue and Hanoi treat us to dinner in a lovely, old, private residence; a cyclo ride along the Perfume River; insight into the Vietnam War; looks at Nguyen Dynasty monuments and French colonial architecture; and water puppetry.
In Halong Bay we savor a blissful day and night cruising among the majestic limestone karsts of this UNESCO World Heritage Site—our deluxe vessel comes complete with private balconies.
A fight whisks us to Luang Prabang, where we join monks in the temple-dotted streets for almsgiving, then dye scarves with artisans, farm rice, and follow the Mekong to caves filled with gilded Buddhas.
Optional Cambodia Extension: Fly to Siem Reap, Cambodia, and get an inside look at the incredible ruins of Angkor, a great architectural achievement.
Dates & Prices
11/28/17 – 12/10/17 (to 12/13 with Cambodia Extension)
1/27/18 – 2/8/18 (to 2/11 with Cambodia Extension)
11/27/18 – 12/9/18 (to 12/12 with Cambodia Extension)
Custom Trips offered October–February
Group Trip: From $6980 per person
Optional Cambodia Extension: From $1925 per person
Custom Trip: Please call for individually tailored recommendations and pricing.
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- More unusual insider experiences
- All accommodations
- A luxury cruise on Halong Bay
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of a GeoEx trip leader (Group Trip), local guides, drivers, and other staff
- All gratuities, except for the GeoEx trip leader
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance