Mountains & Fiords of the South Island
Custom | 12 Days | Easy Touring and Hiking
- A private journey handcrafted for you: use this itinerary or let us custom design one for you
- Alpine scenery, the finest lodges, and delectable cuisine
- Kayak amid rain forest at Lake Moreaki
- Helicopter into the Southern Alps for magnificent hiking based from a unique chalet
- Visit the charming cities of Christchurch and Queenstown
New Zealand is a gem of a country and it shines brightly on this elegantly paced journey to its South Island—which we'll customize to your interests and time frame. Get ready to discover its natural majesty and stunning bio-, eco-, and scenic diversity, including its world-famous fiords (they’re "fiords" in New Zealand, not the more familiar "fjords"). Linking your explorations are some of the country’s finest and most engaging hostelries. And while you're thinking about the South Island, consider pairing it with the North.
We are huge fans of GeoEx. Everything went off perfectly... We loved our guides...Every piece of the puzzle worked out. I know it was a lot work to put all that together, so we are so grateful to you for making it all happen. The activities were so fun and New Zealand was just spectacular. The accommodations were spectacular. We loved every minute of it...Thank you, thank you, and we will absolutely use your company again for upcoming travel.– Leanne G.
Christchurch welcomes you with its beautiful gardens, broad avenues, and vibrant arts scene Enjoy views of Akaroa Harbour and then a cruise along the bay.
After taking the TranzAlpine train into the Southern Alps, continue to Franz Josef, a tranquil village nestled among native forest and its mighty namesake glacier.
A scenic charter flight reveals the Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers and rugged Westland National Park Drive to Lake Moeraki to hike and kayak amid ancient rain forest, watching for crested penguins and fur seals.
You’re whisked by helicopter from the lakeside town of Wanaka to Mount Aspiring National Park for relaxing walks among ice-carved mountains and native forest.
Taste local wines and feast on seasonal dishes at a Central Otago vineyard before crossing the Crowne Range to Queenstown, cherished for its dramatic setting below the Remarkable Ranges.
An overnight cruise in Fiordlands National Park takes you through magnificent Doubtful Sound (lengthier and less visited than the better press-agented Milford Sound) Depart from Queenstown.
Dates & Prices
Custom Trips offered October–April
From $12,850 per person (Custom Trip)
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance