||Cultural Tour, Day Hiking
We’ve sussed out the finest, least trodden trails in the Sacred Valley of the Incas for this 9-day journey. These rare and beauteous day hikes take us to the most interesting sights, markets, and ruins (classics and well-off-the-beaten-track gems), giving us the space to connect with the past and present, as well as soak up the soaring Andean landscapes.
Starting in the Sacred Valley, we ramble through alpaca grazing lands and canyons far from the busy routes, meeting locals who share their agricultural and artistic traditions. We hike to former Inca strongholds, including impressive Huchuy Qosqo, which sits on an exposed bluff 1000 feet above the valley. We explore Pisac and Ollantaytambo, learn about the Inca civilization and Spanish conquest, and overnight at a charming garden-nestled hotel. A day on the Inca Trail takes us to Machu Picchu, where we behold staggering ruins, imagine a thriving city, and stroll our hotel’s orchid-line paths. "You can feel layers of human presence," says travel writer Don George about Machu Picchu in the quiet evening hours, and that’s precisely why we spend a night at this mysterious lost city. Finally, we take a good look at Cusco and Lima before heading home (or continuing to explore Peru).
Itinerary at a Glance
- Day 1: arrive in Lima
- Day 2: fly to Cusco, drive to the Sacred Valley, Wayra Paso horse show
- Day 3: Pisac
- Day 4: hike from Chincheros to Moray and Salinas, explore salt mines
- Day 6: on the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, overnight by Machhu Pichu
- Day 7: full-day visit to Machu Picchu, return to Cusco
- Day 8: tour Cusco, amble to ruins
- Day 9: fly to Lima, city tour, evening flights home.