||Cultural Tour, Sailing
||Call 888-570-7108 for custom extension options
French novelist Gustave Flaubert once wrote that Egypt “is a great place for contrasts: splendid things gleam in the dust.” On this tremendously fun, action-packed Egyptian odyssey, your family experiences these contrasts firsthand—a modern city butting up against ancient pyramids, a sound and light show above pharaoh-built temples, and on and on.
What better way to start than at the jaw-dropping Great Pyramid, where you’ll unlock mysteries of powerful dynasties and drift through the dunes aboard a camel. Then soak up colorful everyday life as you wander through Islamic Cairo’s bustling streets amid domes, minarets, and souks. You’ll get to draw hieroglyphics, marvel at the Egyptian Museum’s amazing antiquities, and spend time with a local family. Next you’re off by four-by-four to the Bahariya Desert Oasis to visit the Golden Mummies, hike, hunt for fossils, and camp in the endlessly striking Black and White Desert. Your final chapter takes you to Luxor. You’ll sail the Nile by felucca, explore the magnificent temples at Luxor and Karnak, and meet artisans of papyrus, alabaster, and textiles. History continues bursting to life at the tombs of King Tut and the great artist Sennedjem at Deir el Medina, where one can still imagine craftsmen at work.
See our brochure to compare all the
2013 GeoEx Family Trips ►
Itinerary at a Glance
- Day 1: arrive in Cairo
- Days 2 & 3: Great Pyramids, camel ride, Islamic Cairo with Khan al-Khalili souk, carpet school, dinner with local family
- Days 4–6: Bahariya Desert Oasis with camping, hiking, and Golden Mummies
- Day 7: return to Cairo, downtime
- Day 8: fly to Luxor, sail Nile by felucca
- Days 9 & 10: temples of Luxor and Karnak, artisan market, optional hot-air ballooning, Deir el-Medina, Valleys of the Kings and Queens
- Day 11: fly to Cairo, relax
- Day 12: depart for home.