Patagonia is South America’s drama queen. It demands your attention and rewards you with a whopping eyeful of sensational scenery. On this 11-day, expertly guided adventure, you’ll explore its wonderfully theatrical landscapes, from granite monoliths to shockingly blue lakes, traveling by charter plane or four-by-four. Along the way, you’ll be treated to fabulous cuisine and nights in superb hotels and estancias.
You begin in Buenos Aires, a world-class city of leafy neighborhoods, European-style avenues, and elegant hotels and restaurants. Then it’s off to Torres del Paine for a couple days of jaw-dropping hiking and communing with its symphonic peaks. Next to El Calafate, where you stay at the understatedly luxurious Eolo Lodge in the Patagonian Steppes and spend a day at the mammoth Perito Moreno Glacier, watching it slowly calve into Lago Argentino. Onward by boat to Estancia Cristina, an isolated wilderness ranch set against the lushly glaciated mountains of remotest Patagonia. Here there’s time to wander, fish, ride horses, and gaze at the skyscraper mountains guarding the Patagonian Ice Cap. After exploring the frozen wonderland of Upsala Glacier, you return to Buenos Aires for flights home—or perhaps begin another chapter of South American exploration.
Itinerary at a Glance
- Day 1: arrive in Buenos Aires, tour city
- Day 2: fly south to Calafate and drive across Chilean border to Torres del Paine
- Days 3–5: hiking in Torres del Paine
- Day 6: drive to Calafate
- Day 7: Perito Moreno Glacier
- Day 8: boat to Estancia Cristina
- Day 9: hiking around the Upsala Glacier
- Day 10: horseback riding in Los Glaciares National Park; drive to El Calafate
- Day 11: domestic flight to Buenos Aires in time for international flight.
Note: A four-day Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego, and Cape Horn National Park trip extension is also available.