||Cultural Tour, Day Hiking
||Call 888-570-7108 for custom extension options
A rare chance to experience China’s rural life, Hidden Tribes spins us well beyond the tourist-trod paths for a close and extraordinarily colorful look at the ethnically diverse villages of Guizhou Province, a festival of limestone karsts, spiky hills, and terraced rice ﬁelds located east of Yunnan, west of Hunan, south of Sichuan, north of Guangxi, and far, far from home.
We meet in Beijing, then ﬂy south to Guizhou’s capital, Guiyang, for numerous days of drives, hikes, and creative wanderings in a series of villages set in bamboo groves by clear streams, atop misty hills, inhabited by Miaos, Gejias, and other minorities whose traditions, dances, costumes, and festivals (they hold more than a thousand a year!) are still rather mysterious to anthropologists (and probably the better for it). Hidden Tribes is a case study in the soul-enriching possibilities of adventurous travel.
Itinerary at a Glance
- Day 1: arrive in Beijing
- Day 2: fly to Guiyang
- Day 3: old Han villages
- Day 4: hiking through Damochong Valley to Dazhai village
- Day 5: hiking in the hills, return to Guiyang
- Day 6: drive to Kaili, explore Qingman and Shiqing Miao villages
- Day 7: drive to Leishan County, hike from Jiaogao to Xijiang villages
- Day 8: drive back to Guiyang, fly to Beijing
- Day 9: depart Beijing.