The Epic of Central Asia
Group | 22 Days | Moderate Touring
- Road trip across Central Asia’s Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Kyrgyzstan
- Impressive Islamic architecture, thrilling bazaars, and stunning nature
- Try calligraphy, make bread, and visit a Kyrgyz eagle hunter
- Khiva's walled old city and mile-high Issyk Kul, a larger Lake Tahoe
- Join veteran trip leader Sarah Timewell
The Epic of Central Asia packs in a tremendous lot of old-fashioned travel romance in just three weeks. We begin in Turkmenistan, wend through Uzbekistan—which every fan of eye-snapping Islamic architecture and slam-bam history must eventually visit—and revel in Kyrgyzstan. Along the way, we encounter fabled place-names like Ashgabat, Tashkent, and Ferghana. We explore Samarkand's ancient heart and walk the narrow streets of Khiva's old city. We circumnavigate mile-high Issyk Kul lake, and soak up colorful markets hawking everything from sheepskin hats to livestock. And in the Djety Oguz Gorge, we spend time with our favorite eagle hunter.
Sarah [Timewell] is a wonderful person and trip leader. Her presence added a great deal to our experience. She is professional, knows the territory, and runs a tight ship with humor and aplomb. It was a joy to travel with her and I would like to do so again. She did everything just right and with grace.– Pamela E.
Get to know Turkmenistan's unique marble-clad capital, Ashgabat, and visit the nearby Nissa ruins Those who arrive early can opt for an additional excursion to ancient Merv.
After flying to the Konye Urgench ruins, we cross into Uzbekistan and drive to Khiva, an enchanting Silk Road town with gorgeous mosques and madrassas The Savitsky Museum wows us with its collection of avant-garde Russian art.
Bukhara and Samarkand provide endless delights, including exquisite Islamic architecture, dome-covered bazaars, and time with a carpet maker.
Calligraphy lessons, lunch with a ceramist, and a bread-making workshop dot our journey from the bustling capital of Taskent to the fertile Ferghana Valley―along with spectacular scenery.
Now in Kyrgyzstan, we savor beautiful Chychkan Gorge, dine with a family in Oso, and take a guided walk of Bishkek, the country's capital.
Breathtaking mountains and water invigorate us in Ala Archa National Park and Issyk Kul lake We enjoy hikes. leisure time, and local invitations.
Join a Kyrgyz eagle hunter amid Djety Oguz Gorge's red-rock cliffs to learn about the tradition Study the open-air petroglyphs of Cholpon-Ata before returning to Bishkek for flights home.
Note: We’re happy to extend your trip with visits to Kazakhstan, mountainous Tajikistan, western China, or other intriguing Central Asia locales.
Dates & Prices
4/27/18 – 5/18/18
From $9985 per person (Group Trip)
- Expertise of GeoEx’s travel specialists
- Services of GeoEx’s in-house air reservations team
- All accommodations
- All ground transportation and airport transfers
- Sightseeing, events, visits, and entrance fees
- Most meals
- Bottled water at included meals and while sightseeing
- Services of a GeoEx trip leader, local guides, drivers, and other staff
- Some gratuities
- Emergency evacuation services and secondary medical expense insurance